It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #1

kittykatoo HB User
Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

Does anyone who experiences seizures notice a memory deficit? I have been having simple partial seizures with a vengeance and notice a significant memory problem. My long term memory is incredible, but short term stuff is almost as bad as it gets. I'm curious if there's a link. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User
Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

Hey Kitty,

Welcome to the board!! You've found a pretty great one here.

I don't have E - 2 of my 3 children do, Jenny 15, has CPs with only one that's generalized and Jake 2, also has CP with rapid generalization with nearly all his!

Yes, memory loss is a huge issue. Jenny has more problems with word recall and school studies then my older son ever dreamed of, and poor little Jake is 2 and not yet talking. I know that it's the seizures and meds that have kept him for putting things together like he should be.

Not much help, I know, but wanted to say Hello! Yak, away!

Love and light,

Lisa and kids

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #3

kittykatoo HB User

Thank you for the info & the warm welcome! I'm learning so much here!!!

Well, it makes me feel better to know there's probably a reason for my poor memory than just having a bad memory without a plausible explanation. I earned average to above average grades in school but had to work three times harder than all of my friends because recall was so difficult. I can certainly relate to that.

Lisa

Old 02-16-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

HelloKathy HB User

I have complex partial epilepsy and although my seizures are a lot less frequent than they used to be, my memory is still pretty bad. I forget places I've gone, people I've met, and important events that have occured in my life and it is a really terrible feeling.

I want you all to look on the bright side of things- I got through college and graduate school while having complex partial seizures on a regular basis. I may not remember most of what I learned but I still got through it with good grades. I always think, if I was able to get through that, than I can do anything I want. It might be harder for me, but in the end I will be stronger for it!!
-Kathy

Old 02-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #5

angie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykatoo
Does anyone who experiences seizures notice a memory deficit? I have been having simple partial seizures with a vengeance and notice a significant memory problem. My long term memory is incredible, but short term stuff is almost as bad as it gets. I'm curious if there's a link. Thanks!

Hi:

I have complex partial epilepsy, and when it was less under control and I was having more seizures, I had more problems with short-term memory. That being said, I have an under-grad degree, so it wasn't an insurmountable problem for me (at least w/meds). I hope that helps,

Angie

Old 02-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #6

kelly-marie HB User
Unhappy Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

hi i am kelly. i have myoclonic seizures and i also suffer short term m loss. memories of a while ago are fine but 7 years ago wen i give birth 2 my 1st baby i cant remeber much of it, if any, also his early childhood, sometimes i remeber bits then others it goes again, weird huh. [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]

Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #7

edenexplorer HB User

Hi, I am in UK, and I have short term Memory too, it can be annoying at work, and embarrassing sometimes, 4getting peoples names and films ive seen before etc. I remember silly things like old telephone numbers, and car registration plates of family from when I was a child I am now 30, and have an unusual partial nocturnal epilepsy - I only fit when in deep sleep.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:55 AM   #8

kelly-marie HB User
Angry Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

do u know when u have these fits or does ur partner tell u,, how long u had these? i been having these since i was 13, am 26 now and they r annoying wen i start jerking wen i doin normal things like cleaniong and i have to stop

Old 02-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #9

edenexplorer HB User
Wink Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly-marie
do u know when u have these fits or does ur partner tell u,, how long u had these? i been having these since i was 13, am 26 now and they r annoying wen i start jerking wen i doin normal things like cleaniong and i have to stop
Hi, I have been having these since I was 18 ( as far as I know), it started at college. I was training to be a Dancer and I used to go to class withh a big headache and aching limbs - lived on aspirin - at first thought it was the hard work from the dancing. My Girlfriend tells me if ive had one, she is very good and makes sure i dont injure myself, but also i can tell - i put my head down and all the blood rushes there and i can see stars, this is a good indication. As a Male dancer, we used to get worked hard, and I lost a lot of weight, dancing in day, seizing at night! I wasnt diagnosed till 2 years later!. good luck

Old 02-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #10

gardener HB User

Hi, lots of history with complex partials that sometimes generalizes and sometimes don't. Memory is an issue right before the seizure and right after. Meds, Topamax namely, really affect cognitive recall. If I am grasping for a thought or memory the best I can do at the time is relax and it will come to me. I am a recent guineau pig for VNS, however, I need a new generator but I may have the entire thing removed and go back only to meds as VNS seems to tamper with memory issues. At this point in my academic and professional career I have to stay on top of my game.

To help with your memory I suggest staying active in cognitive activities (reading, hand-eye coordination(sports), drawing, memory games, list making, listening to music avidly, etc.). These things have helped me.

The gardener.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #11

kelly-marie HB User
Thumbs up Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

hey ty 4 ur suggestions. i do alot of reading and writing, i have been fit free for 4 days now and feeeel sooooo good. normally cooking is a no go area 4 me but 4 two days now i been on a roll lol.
i have myoclonic seizures. i am so glad they stopped

Old 02-22-2004, 01:49 AM   #12

edenexplorer HB User
Lightbulb Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

Hi again, I have heard from recent tests that omega 3 fish oils are good for brain function AS WELL as healthy hearts. I must be VVVVVVV lucky only having seizures at night - 5 weeks since the last

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly-marie
hey ty 4 ur suggestions. i do alot of reading and writing, i have been fit free for 4 days now and feeeel sooooo good. normally cooking is a no go area 4 me but 4 two days now i been on a roll lol.
i have myoclonic seizures. i am so glad they stopped

Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 AM   #13

kelly-marie HB User
Talking Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

hi there where do i get omega 3 fish oils from? do they work 4 u? when did u start taking em?

Old 02-22-2004, 02:57 AM   #14

edenexplorer HB User
Talking Re: Partial Seizures and Short Term Memory Loss

Hi. omega 3 oils are present in oily fish, (mackerel/sardines/ some in tuna) but you can also get capsules at drug stores - cod liver oil or just omega 3 fish oils. Zinc supplements are quoted as being good for memory too. I dont know if they are working, it may take a while, but they aren`t hurting me. Where are you based, because some of my wording may be different to yours. i`m in UK

Closed Thread