It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #1

tod82006 HB User
seizures and bedwetting

My son has wet the bed is entire life, nightly (10 year old). NO intervention worked. Medicine, alarms, lifting, fuild restriction etc. He had a 24 hour EEG and while he slept he showed mild to moderate abnormalities "not diagnostic of but consistent with seizure disorder" 3 hz spike and wave. When I asked the doctor what type of seizure would he think he was having if indeed he was having them and he said generalized tonic clonic. Althought the night of the EEG he didn't have an actual seizure but he also did not wet the bed. (probably 1 of maybe 10-12 times in his life that he didn't wet the bed) We tried him on trileptal and got 9 nights in a row dry. then as as started to wet again the dr increased his dose and things just kept getting worse with each increase.

WE have never witnessed a seizure nor seen any other sign of nocturnal activity other than wet bed. He did have a suspicious episode this summer which sounded to the doctor like it might have been partial seizure.

My sister had childhood epilepsy.

Now our question is perhaps the bedwetting isn't related at all and a completely seperate issue.

Has anyone had any similar experience or advise on how to determine if it is seizures taht are making him we.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #2

gagcas HB User
Re: seizures and bedwetting

hello. does your son have any other out of the ordinary things going on. my son is five adn we would have never guessed siezures on him. he was having blinking spells(thought he needed glasses.), temper fits, night terrors, speech problems as well as concentrating. his dr did an eeg and came back positive for siezures. like i said i would have never guessed, thoguht it was adhd. i have notice that most of gage's activity is in the middle of the night. he has sleeptalking episodes, he has woken up in teh night saying he has peed the bed when in fact he really hasnt but needed to. i would talk to the dr and see if ther is anythign to d as far as finding out whats going on. unfortunatly siezures are pretty mucha waiting and trial and error game. hope you find stuff out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: seizures and bedwetting

I wet the bed every night too. There was nothing wrong medically that anyone could see. I began having Simple Partials at abt age 11 nearing puberty and had my first Complex Partial at age 14. I was diagnosed at this time with Complex Partial epilepsy. These are the hardest to control/stop with meds. No AED stopped my seizures, and I eventually had surgery more than 30 years later. No general neuro ever told me there were treatments besides AEDs, and that did take years off of my productive life. They do not have that right. Quality of life is a very important issue, and the meds do have a great impact. That impact was negative for me. I am only now discovering my potential, and I am over 50. Such a waste! The one AED that did finally stop the bed wetting was Depakote. I also want to add that loss of bladder control was a hallmark sign that I had had a seizure. Please check into getting your son to a Pediatric Epileptologist at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center who can moe properly diagnose and treat him. There is no sense wasting his good years hidden under a cloud of AEDs that may never help when there are docs who do speialize in this area with more treatments available. I felt I was reading my story when I read your poat. Phoebe.

Last edited by Phoebe; 02-22-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Closed Thread