It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 06:56 AM   #1

elicia HB User
tegretol or topamax? what would be your choice?

I am having a hard time coping with the topamax. The headaches I have and the over all yucky feeling is awful. And that's just at 25mg a day! I used to take tegretol and got off it to find something better. Something with less side affects, now I'm wondering if there is such a drug. Next week I have to make the decision to stick with the topamax and the yucky feeling and headaches and possibly go up a notch in dosage or try something else or go back to the tegretol. Is there a lesser of two evils in this bunch? Which would anyone else chose? tegretol, topamax or something else? I'm at my wit's end trying to decide what to do. I was diagnosised with simple complex partials 14 years ago, they are mild and far and few between. I do not have them daily or severe. Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 08-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

Eilidh1 HB User
Re: tegretol or topamax? what would be your choice?

Hey Elicia...

I'm on Topamax 250mg per day, with Lamictal 400mg and I've just introduced Keppra, now at 500mg per day. I start to gradually take away the Topamax on Thursday because it wasn't stopping my fits. On a low dosage combined with Epilem and Lamictal, I was in love with Topamax - but I couldnt stay on Epilem, and a three drug combo wasn't what I was looking for. I understand that dumb feeling (see the post "memory loss") - Topamax is apparently particularly bad for that, but all AEDs will slow down brain activity. Every drug however affects different people in different ways. Although there are many AEDs to try out, there aren't THAT many that will suit everyone, so in your shoes I would give Topamax a go, even if you get in contact with your doctor and suggest staying on 25mg for a while longer so your body gets used to it (see Lisa T’s reply on your other thread about dosages). Anyway, if it doesn’t work then you’ll know that you’ve tried that one out, then you can move on to the next one.

Good luck, keep us posted…

Eilidh
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #3

spider41 HB User
Re: tegretol or topamax? what would be your choice?

i have been on tegretol cr for the last 12 yrs now and it seems to help me alot i still have the odd seizure but they r in better control and i had no side effects with them other then double vision when my levels were to high

Closed Thread