It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #1

jodica HB User
For those on Dilantin

is your doctor trying to get you to switch??? Or am I the only one with a loone for a doctor? I have had seizures all my life one even caused me to drowned! After 16 years of misery.... my siezures finally got under control with 400mg dilantin and 160mg phenobarbital. I was seizure free for 16 years! WHOHOO then my doctor wanted to get me off of dilantin as its "safer" to have children while on Lamictal rather than dilantin. Mind you... I already have a healthy son but would like to have another. I was in the process of increasing Lamictal...was off dilantin completely and weaning off phenobarbital when.... I had a seizure. I am angry upset and annoyed. I am left wondering if the side effects of dilantin are really worse then not being seizure free. I want to go back on the dilantin but my doctor just increased my phenobarbital. Any opinions or insight would be welcomed. I am at a loss. Many people tell me dilantin is so bad when you are on it for so long. I feel like I dont have any other option. I am now stuck unable to drive and its horrible. I guess im starting to look at it as...what kind of life can i offer my son if i cant drive take him places or am not just not a happy person?

Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM   #2

syndyhall HB User
Re: For those on Dilantin

I was in the same situation. I had twins and my seizures got worse when I was pregnant, and my dr says that I need to stay on my dilantin. yes there are risks of having birth defects but he says that there is also a risk that if I have a seizure it would be worse. I took two in the morning and two at night,. My babies are fine, so far, crazy as ever. They are two now. hope eevrything works out for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #3

Kramer HB User

Privacy concern

Last edited by Kramer; 03-02-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #4

ritamymom HB User

I take 500mg of Dilantin and have tried to switch to other meds with no luck, back to the Dilantin (and my OLD neuro pushed!). I really hate to say this but.....
in my opinion..........the drug companies and the physicians are interlocked and try to push the "new drugs" on the market, Lamictal being one of them. Ever notice the price of Dilantin in comparison to Lamictal!!!
Case closed.

Good luck to you and do what works for YOU!

R

Old 09-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #5

jodica HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am seeing my neurologist tomorrow and will be informing him i want back on dilantin no ifs and or buts. Messing with my meds is a . I was on 400 mg dilantin and it sounds like its not that uncommon. They were making me out to be a freak for requiring so much. Neurologists are far and few between where i am but i do have an appointment with a new one...but i couldnt get in for a few months! My son is only 15 months old and i cant imagine what would happen to him if i were alone with him and had a seizure. Ill see what my doctor has to say tomorrow.

Closed Thread