It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #1

1countrygirl_37 HB User
Exclamation Do Seizures start at age 38?

I have only begun this road of seizures . . .december 2003. I have no known illness to cause any of this...I was however on the following medications during the year 2002-03. I stopped them on my own, the doctor must have treated elvis, he only wrote scripts.....

Norco klonopin prozac soma stadol vistiril amytriptyline phenergan ...before these.....dilaudid, fentynal patches, methadone, lortab, lorcet10, percocet...I am sure I have forgot some....I covered them all....every PAIN drug known to man...

Question: What is the possiblity of these drugs causing something crazy like seizures to start. I HAD A REALLY MILD CONCUSSION IN 1986....BUT I AM JUST AT MY END.......

HELP...WHAT IS CAUSING THIS...MRI normal.

Listening..
Gretchen

Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 AM   #2

desiree HB User
Re: Do Seizures start at age 38?

undefinedundefinedundefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countrygirl_37
I have only begun this road of seizures . . .december 2003. I have no known illness to cause any of this...I was however on the following medications during the year 2002-03. I stopped them on my own, the doctor must have treated elvis, he only wrote scripts.....

Norco klonopin prozac soma stadol vistiril amytriptyline phenergan ...before these.....dilaudid, fentynal patches, methadone, lortab, lorcet10, percocet...I am sure I have forgot some....I covered them all....every PAIN drug known to man...

Question: What is the possiblity of these drugs causing something crazy like seizures to start. I HAD A REALLY MILD CONCUSSION IN 1986....BUT I AM JUST AT MY END.......

HELP...WHAT IS CAUSING THIS...MRI normal.

Listening..
Gretchen
I just wanted to tell you Gretchen that yes seizures can start at the age of 38, I am in the same boat as you are....I just do not understand it....I had an abnormal mri and eeg.....stating that I am having temporal lobe seizures...I am now taking tegratol xr and all that I can say is wow.....I don't understand why you are to take a medication, to make you feel like this....I am also suffering from fibromyalgia....I am in rough shape...and at my wits end....just pray and keep your faith and trust in God.....there are some days that I just cannot cope with all of this I just turned 41 last March.....and was taking seizures at the age of 38....and stopped the medication on my own and I guess what I am trying to tell you is that I made it worse by stopping the medication....I sure do hope that I have been some help to you and hope to hear from you soon....God Bless

Desiree

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I know what you mean. I started seizures in December 2002 and I was 35. I also have fibromyalgia. I have seen that they are common together. I was not on meds before my seizures though...they just came out of the blue. I have been seizure free for 10 1/2 months now with Depakote and Topamax. They have caused side effects, but what doesn't! I just had to say which is worse, seizures or side effects. I take vitamins to counteract the side effects though. Anyway...best of luck!
Kathy

Old 10-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #4

1countrygirl_37 HB User

Thanks ladies...please pray, we will just pray for each other. Hey who knows maybe we will start an over 30 with seizures group...lol.

Love
Gretchen

Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Seizures can start at any time. One thing I noticed is that you were on some heavy duty, highly addictive meds and stopped them on your own. Your seizures started after this based on the dates you gave. Seizures frequently occur during withdrawal so that could be considered. but if they have continued even after the drugs are clearly out of your system, then here is something else triggering them. I encourage you to do some research on different causes of seizures as there are many; cardiac, metabolic, chemical, direct insult to the brain, etc. The concussion is also a potential cause. Regardless of the cause, a doc does need to be following you and a plan of care established. That all depends on the cause in some cases. The EEG and MRI do not have to be abnormal for you to still have epilepsy, and it may come into your life at any time. You didn't tell us if you were on AEDs nor about the type of seizures you have etc. Phoebe

Last edited by Phoebe; 10-01-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #6

maggie39 HB User

Wow that's quite a medicine chest you have there! Were you taking any of those drugs while you have the seizures or did they happen after you stopped? And what was you seizure like? Many of the drugs you mentioned can cause a drop in blood pressure, which can cause you to faint and sometimes even have some movements that can be mistaken for a seizure. Amytriptyline can cause a heart arythmia which can also cause you to pass out.
I'd strongly suggest you find a new doctor who isn't so into the "better living through modern chemistry" moto!

Old 10-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #7

maggie39 HB User

oh - I almost forgot - I noticed several of you mentioned that you had fibromyalgia. I've read there may be a strong connection between hypotension (neurocardiogenic syncope) and fibro. Look up those terms jointly on google and you'll get some interesting links.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:19 PM   #8

TanyaWatson HB User

Hello Gretchen and others,

Just wondering if I could also join the "starting seizures over 30" group... I am 31 and had my first seizure 3 months ago (while on antidepressants), although once diagnosed with epilepsy it turns out I have been having other forms of seizures for years. What a strange frightening world this is to be thrown into. I only discovered this site a couple of days ago and although I am sorry for everyone else experiencing all of this, its nice to know I am not alone.

I also had a mild concussion in the late 80's but came back with a normal MRI. I would also love to know what caused this but don't think I am ever going to get the answers I am looking for.

I try to take the view that there are people a whole lot worse off than me, I am lucky I just have epilepsy!

Hope you are doing okay.
Tanya

Old 11-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #9

bayou_girl HB User

Seizures can start at any age, but I think your is mostly caused by all those drugs you listed.

The only thing safe is the muscle relaxer and the visteril, because I take both of them.

However, all those narcotics you listed are way to heavy to be using for everyday use. I use to work in a n ER for over 4 years, and saw that kind of stuff in there, and they NEVER used them or gave them to anyone who wasn't a trauma patient with bad damage to them.

People like us who would walk in and get treatment for whatever and walk out, would normally be given Vicodin, or Codeine, or Percocet, but nothing stronger.

I walked into the ER that I worked in for emergency treatment for a Migraine that shot up from nowhere, and I couldn't get all the way home, so I stopped off for treatment, and all they did was do a CT of my head, to make sure nothing was going on in there, and give me an extra strength Vicodin while I Was on the bed in there. They sent me home with the diagnoses of Trigeminal Neuralgia, and sent me home with a scrip for Vicodin and 1 refill.

After that, I had to see my doc for further treatment.

But, I mean even then they didn't touch those drugs you were given.

THey are VERY HEAVY DUTY drugs. Some are heavy narcotics, and some benzos and shouldn't be messed with, and if you are taking them, that will cause seizures. THey don't mix well with AEDs.

They will also cause seizures by them selves.

I am going to tell you to find another doc, because he should be rather needs to be shot for handing out scrips like those.

I will be thinking of you and hopeing you get a nother doc soon, because you are in a huge mess right now.

Yuo need to report him for writing scrips for the use of those drugs.

Nancy

Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 PM   #10

DianaF HB User

My seizures started when I was 40. I thought "what the hell is going on?" I was in perfect health before all this started. They say you can have seizures at any age. How about that!!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #11
(male)

rtyndall HB User

I'm living proof that seizures can start into your 30's. I'm also 38, and I've had seizures for about 5 years now. Usually it's controlled rather well with Depakote, but I do get break through seizures. I get gran mal seizures. My MRI's and EEG's have all been "normal" and my neurologist doesn't know what is causing them.

You've come to the right place for support. If you want to stop taking the other meds, just make sure your doc knows what you are doing and he will likely show you the correct way. some of that stuff has to be gradually decreased - especially the narcotics.

Closed Thread