It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #1

ksr20 HB User
lamictal

just wondering if anyone here takes lamictal. my doc thinks i may have tle and he wants to try it out. just curious on how good it works and what kind of side effects it has. i heard something about a rash and now im too freaked out to take it!

Old 10-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #2

amaya6 HB User
Re: lamictal

I take Lamictal and the only side effect I get is that I cannot fall asleep. Once I am asleep, I don't have problems staying asleep but actually falling asleep is difficult. My neurologist told me instead of taking it in the AM and before bed, to take it in the Am at at 5 or 6pm so it won't make me stay awake. I still have trouble falling asleep but I am surprisingly not tired in the morning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
(male)

Moonrunner72 HB User

My doc recently stepped up my Lamictal dosage and I've noticed that there were many more hairs in my shower drain. Also, recently when I first made the increase, I was experiencing some headaches. I seem to be adjusting. The headaches are gone.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #4

randy_p HB User
Thumbs up Re: lamictal

hi,, have been on lamictal for 3 yrs now after using all the others.. i have partial seizures, have noticed some memory loss, ringing in ears and blurred vision.. are these from the meds i have no idea but .they are there and they are possible side effects..(good note) seizures are now under control..

Old 11-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #5

radasjewel HB User

Hi guys,
I have been on Lamictal for a few years now, my doc put me on that so he could cut down on some of my epilum. I have actually felt better on it, a bit more alert. I had a few headaches as well for the first few weeks but they dissapeared. I'm not as drowsy either but like Amay said I too have resless nights trying to sleep. As long as you aware of what side effects are possibile and keep your doc informed you should be right.
Lori

Old 11-07-2004, 03:33 PM   #6

DianaF HB User

I was on Lamictal for a very short while. I had a very bad reaction to this medicine. I had heaviness and severe pain in my chest. I wound up in the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. My heart was fine (thank goodness) but they stopped the Lamictal right away. After three days the symptoms subsided.

Last edited by DianaF; 11-07-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #7

Stacy1971 HB User

I started taking lamictal for partial seizures a few months ago and was also worried about the rash too. Too help avoid any problems with getting a rash, my neurologist started me off slowly-- at 25 mg --and then slowly increased. This medication is very good. I am not tired and have not had a seizure while on it.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Are any of you taking Lamictal monotherapy? I am on Keppra monotherapy and am not sure if what is going on with me is re to the situation itself and how it effected my emotions or if my emotions are being affected by the Keppra. I do know it can do that, but whether or not it is in my case is not clear. I called my doc and spoke with the Nurse Practitioner abt my emotions to try and determine what is situational and what is Keppra if at all. She suggested a change of meds, but really with her being as new as she is to Epilepsy and with her not knowing me at all, to suggest a change was extreme to me. I wouldn't have done that. I really felt like I was talking to a general neuro who doesn't even bat an eye re feeding you more pills regardless of the effect on quality of life. I mentioned Lamictal and have taken it before but with the Keppra. Has any of you taken Lamictal monotherapy, and how does it work for you? Phoebe

Old 11-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Phoebe,

Long time no chat!

Katie will start her last week of Keppra on Monday. Our Epi is confident the Lamictal will work well as monotherapy. The first 2-3 weeks of the Keppra wean have been a little up and down emotionally. She is coming down off of 3000 mg per day of it.

Other than that, things are going well. Katie made the JV girls basketball team! However, the coaches are noticing a "delay" in Katie picking up new info and plays. I strongly feel this is a short term memory issue. We will keep an eye on it and they are committed to working with her through it. Only major concern right now is whether Katie can handle the practices, games and her school work. So we'll see.

Take care,
Vicki

Closed Thread