It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #1

sweetangelbaby HB User
husbands first seizure

i am only sixteen and married. my husband had his first seizure a few days ago. i have never experienced anything like this before. can anybody give me advice

Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

rocket56 HB User
Re: husbands first seizure

Oh my sweet angel baby, My daughters husband has been with her since she started to have seizures.(11 years) He is very caring. At times the road will be hard. Just hang in there and support him. He will need it. Finding a good doctor that understands Epilepsy has been the hardest. My daughter has 3 children and times get hard. She is severly depressed and lots of other problems, but with family support you will all get through it. It can be real scary,And depressing, but try to not let it get you down, Dont wait to long for help. I think you said you were married. Its for better or worse. In sickness or health. I hope and pray for you and your husband. I hope your experience will be easy to deal with. I dont know what advice you need Just ask, On this message board, or I am not sure of the rules for giving email addys on here. But your welcome to email me directly. God Bless, Rocket 56

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

rocket56 HB User

Ok I read the rules and there are no off board contacts. Because of spamming and such so Just come here, I have found out quick it is a great place to find information and support. I cant wait to get home everyday and check my healthboard. Thankyou you all!!!

Old 11-17-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
(male)

Shane. G HB User

Hi
I to experienced my husbands first seizure only a few years ago,He has TLE, only he suprised me by having it in the front seat of his celica hatchback with a broken leg. He had metal pieces petruding out of his leg that were holding his bones together, so besides not having any room and not knowing what was happening,the experience was scary.
With every seizure things get slightly easier, and you learn what to do, but i believe that it does not stop scaring the hell out of you every time it happens. I just keep remembering that everything I am seeing is involuntary, and he does not remember anything that happens and that I am thankful for.
I do not know about you, but I get,how is your husband? but who cares about the person standing on the outside watching all this. For your sake I hope you get to hear I hope you are ok. And believe me I hope you are. From one heart to another I know what you went through. Hang in there,Give and receive lots of cuddles and you both will get through.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:33 AM   #5

mnt89 HB User

My wife and I had not been married long when she saw me have my first one. It scared her pretty bad. I woke up to the paramedics banging on my chest and putting that smelly stuff under my nose. Anyway, it freaked her out. She knew it was a possibility, but there was that initial shock and all. I felt kind of odd afterward, wondering what she was thinking about me. Kind of wondered if she was afraid to be around me anymore, or afraid to go out in public together - things like that; but - she was very supportive and always walked arm and arm with me & made me feel like she was proud to be with me. We're celebrating our 15th anniversary this December!! So, as you can see, a good support system is the key to getting through it. That and lots of prayer, laughter and good ole' communication. He needs to feel that he can talk to you about it whenever he needs to. Well, I could go on and on, so I guess I'll cut this off now. It's good that you are concerned, but the more "normal" you can keep things, the better it will be - at least that's the way I see it. Others here certainly have the right to disagree if they like.
Good luck & God bless!
-Mike

Last edited by mnt89; 11-17-2004 at 06:34 AM.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:20 AM   #6

sweetangelbaby HB User

thanks this helps alot it just really scared me and i didn't know what to do. what will happen if he swallows his tongue. they have been telling me to hold something on his tongue or he will swallow it. please help thanks
deena

Last edited by sweetangelbaby; 11-17-2004 at 07:20 AM.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #7

mnt89 HB User

Impossible to swallow his tongue, just make sure his airway is clear if he has a grand mal. Move any objects away from him that may harm him during a seizure. Hope this helps!
Mike

Old 11-17-2004, 11:38 AM   #8

sweetangelbaby HB User

is it true that i need to hold something on his tongue. that is what i have heard. please help. sorry didn't see second page icon

Last edited by sweetangelbaby; 11-17-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #9

mnt89 HB User

This will probably be my last post for today, as I have to get back to work.
No - you never want to put anything in the mouth of a person who is seizing. If you do, you risk hurting him/her or even yourself. You can go to the Epilepsy Foundation's home page to find out more info on how to assist a person who had "E" during and after a seizure. Have a geat day!
Mike

Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 PM   #10

Steph1211 HB User

I am 23 and my husbands 1st seizure was in July. I am kinda more in your boat because we are both young and dont know what to do. I was so scared when he had his 1st seizure it came from no where we were getting ready to go out and he was across the room and bam he fell to the floor and was having a seizure (at the time i had no idea what it was) I though he was dying our son (hes one and a half) was crying he was scared because my husbands face was all weird. I was sure my husband was dying i caled 911 and went to the hospital where they told me it was a seizure and out him on medicine to control the seizures and was told he should have anymore there were 3 more seizures before the day was over. They found no reason for his seizures and took many tests 2x. He was put on medication and in September while we were sleeping I awoke to him having on and I did everything I was told. I thought it was over and 2 hours later he had another one they uped his dose and so far has been seizure free for 2 months about and we still do not know why he had them and if they are going to come again. I am terrified that he will have one on the way to work and no one will help him BUT my mother told me that we have to just live life normally becuase I could be stressing out over something that may never happen again. My husband doesnt like to talk about his seizures and wants to pretend it never happened but we both know they did and we move on. I think he has had more seizures that i havent been around for because I will come home and he will be in such a deep sleep its hard to get him up but he is ok. Just know what to do when he has then things like
1 dont let him hit his head cradle it but dont restrain him
2 dont ever put anything in his mouth he could choke
3 lay him on so if he throws up he wont choke
4 after it stops in a min or 2 try to wake him up he wont know whats going on (thats normal dont be scared) just as long as he wakes up hes ok
5 he probably needs sleep a seizure can wear a body out
if you think somethings wrong really bad call 911 if its just a seizure where hes ok and you are worried call the DR
****This is what my husbands DR told me you might be told something different***

[ removed ]

Dont worry thats what I did at first just be calm you need to live life and not let it control your life

Last edited by moderator2; 11-18-2004 at 04:56 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Closed Thread