It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #1

M. Dragoo HB User
Withdraw symptoms after going off meds?

I was on Carbatrol for about 6.5yrs. I haven't had a seizure for over 5yrs so after a normal EEG doc let me go off meds. I was taking 500mgs a day. Went down to 300 then 200. I have been completely off now for about a week. Doing well, no seizures. I have been experiencing some numbness and tingling. I notice this on my hand, neck and sometimes face. Could this just be withdraws? Has anyone else out there experienced this? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Withdraw symptoms after going off meds?

Is the numbness and tingling on just one side? Have you felt it before? Do you feel anything else different when you feel this?

Could be nothing....depending on the meds it can take weeks to get it all out of your system. WHen my son was withdrawn cold turkey in the hospital and sent home off meds he had symptoms from the withdrawal for 6 weeks at least....

His was hyperactivity. jerks that he never had before and were quite prominent, anxiety.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #3

mnt89 HB User

A doctor once told me that taking anti seizure meds for a long period of time can cause peripheral neuopathy (<--sp?). I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it sounds similar to what you have described.
-Mike

Old 11-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

True, it is numbness and tingling in your extremities, I think. It can also involve nerve pain there. I think that is usually with both sides and not just one, but am not positive.

Did you call the neuro about these sensations?

Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 AM   #5

TanyaWatson HB User

The synptoms you are describing are exactly what happened to me recently when I had my medication changed - came off Epilim & Lamictal really quickly due to side effects, and those sensations didn't stop until they got the dosage of the new meds right. Sounds very much like my experiences of drug withdrawal. I hope this passes quickly for you.

Tanya

Closed Thread