It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

debvid HB User
rash and lamictal

Has anyone had any experience with the Lamictal rash? Bonnie started with a rash all over her legs, arms and some on belly, yesterday morning. I gave her benadryl and she went to school. I called the neuro and she said to bring her in after school (she had early dismissal). When she got home it was gone. I called the doc again, they said if it went away with benadryl it wasn't from the lamictal. It came back again that afternoon, gave more benedryl then came back again later that night. This morning a little on her. Didn't give any benadryl to see what happens. Still worried it could be the lamictal, she is in the second week of an increase of lamictal. Any ideas?

Debbie

Last edited by debvid; 11-19-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

ELLIANA HB User
Re: rash and lamictal

Hi Debbie: I've been taking Lamictal for 3 years and though I've never had a rash I've been warned by several doctors that at any sign of a rash to see your doc. It is a very serious side effect. I'm not sure why he didn't tell you to come in, but I think you should. It can't hurt. I hope she gets better. Let me know how it goes.

Elliana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #3

Jaclynann HB User

I had the rash after being on Lamictal for several months (and it worked great for me too...) The rash started on my face and it looked more like a sunburn than a rash - it was just very red and started to get a little swollen. My eyes got red and bloodshot. I tried taking benadryl and it did nothing. My neuro took me off it immediately. I don't know what anyone else's experience has been... My 11 year old daughter is on Lamictal now, and I know I check every little spot! Good luck. I hope your daughter's feeling well soon!

Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
(male)

Shane. G HB User

Hi Debbie ive been on Lamictal for 2 years now 900mg a day and have not had any rash of any type. when the dosage was put up i was ok for the first 3 days the next 3 days i was a bit light headed for 3 hours and then i was ok. i always check the form that comes in the box and if unsure ask my pharmacist or ring any number on it for info.
shane

Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #5

ritamymom HB User

Hi all

I was on Lamictal for only a short period of time (a week I think??) and developed a rash all over my body. I was immediately seen by my neuro and taken off it. This is not something to take lightly! Please, whether or not the benadryl helped or not, see the neuro immediatly! I don't understand either why he would not have seen her right away.

Let us know how you make out!!

R

Old 11-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi all
Bonnie hasn't had any rash since yesterday morning (Thursday). The only thing she had last night was some tiny bumps on her arm, could be her exzema. I don't know what it could be if it wasn't the med. If it comes back I am going to take her in right away, before I give her Benadryl. If the benadryl didn't help you, Jaclynann, then maybe it doesn't help the lamictal rash. I know there has to be a rash for the doc to see. Thanks for everyone's help, I will keep you posted.

Debbie

Old 11-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hey Debbie,

I haven't been on in a few days but the rash can develop even after you have been on Lamictal for a few years. We have been told to keep and eye on Katie as long as she is on Lamictal. Katie lets me know if there is anything I should take a look at. She is 16, so those with younger children, need to keep an eye out.

Hope all else is well with Bonnie...If the rash comes back, go in...

Vicki

Old 11-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

Tricia9932 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debvid
Has anyone had any experience with the Lamictal rash? Bonnie started with a rash all over her legs, arms and some on belly, yesterday morning. I gave her benadryl and she went to school. I called the neuro and she said to bring her in after school (she had early dismissal). When she got home it was gone. I called the doc again, they said if it went away with benadryl it wasn't from the lamictal. It came back again that afternoon, gave more benedryl then came back again later that night. This morning a little on her. Didn't give any benadryl to see what happens. Still worried it could be the lamictal, she is in the second week of an increase of lamictal. Any ideas?

Debbie
I've been taking Lamictal for 8 years...No rash. Just get tired. I take Klonopin and Diamox, too. So the tiredness can come from that.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #9

jake's-mom HB User

Jake has been on Lamictal since May and has had a rash 3 times. 3 Doctors have told us this rash is not from the Lamictal. The Lamictal rash is like hives that blister. It is usually in your mouth and eyes too. Jake's looks almost like a heat rash. I disagree with our Dr.s on the cause of his rash. Just because it is not the "Stevens-Johnson" rash, doesn't mean it isn't caused by the Lamictal. I have read on other sights that all kinds of rashes are associated with this drug. Some are not harmful. But better safe than sorry and get it checked. Any Doctor should be familiar with what that Stevens-Jhonson" rash looks like. They would be able to tell you if you are in danger.

Good Luck! Wendy and Jake

Old 12-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #10
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi

Thanks for the response. Bonnie has had a rash twice since she started lamictal in July. The first time , in August, we went to the doc. It was a rash from a spray on tan. The doc said that was what the lamictal rash looked like but she felt it was probably from the tan. This next time the rash went away before we could get to the doc. It seems since the benadryl took care of it that it was not the lamictal. I'm like you Wendy, it's strange to have another rash and not know the cause. Thanks again

Debbie

Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Hello. I am having a rash problem too, but I don't know if it's the lamictal or has come from being scratched by my cat.

Sounds weird, but the scratchs are on my neck and very irritated, red, etc.

Then directly below them is like a prickly heat rash...red, little bumps and it itches.

I'm so afraid I will have to go off lamictal...it acutally seems to be doing something positive with my mood!

I'm still on 50 mg. (in starter pack) and will be moving up to 100 mg soon.

Any comments?

Thank you.

Salty

Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The description you gave "heat rash" sounds valid for Lamictal reaction. Bummer that you may not be able to even see if this med will work for you. However, better that it showed up at the beginning rather than later on.

Call the Doc highly recomended beginning of the week and see what they tell you to do. Also so they are updated on your situation.

--Travis

Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Travis, I heard that if topical creams (hydroc.), etc. get rid of the rash then it's not from the lamictal.

I put some on last night and it has helped already. I was going to give it 2 more days and then go to the dr. It isn't anywhere else and everytime I show someone, he/she says it doesn't look like a rash, but maybe where I was scratched it got slightly infected.

With the cream on it, it does not itch like it did. I just think it would be a lot worse and continue to get worse if it was from the med.

I'm going to give it Mon. and Tues., if it's not better by then I will call the dr. first thing Wed.

Thank you for posting. Can you tell how badly I DON'T want it to be the med?

Salty

Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I know the feeling. I went through a handfull of meds before I came close to control. Lamictal at 800/day was one that didn't pan out; levels were hardly showing up on bloodwork.

I do recall the warning on the med. Usuallly it's by the joints, elbows, wrists, etc where that was common for it to appear.

My guess was a Dr would say keep an eye on it and call if it gets worse if you called in being you had just started. I can say the doc I just lost would have told me that! It never hurts keeping them informed if you get questionable about an issue with a med.

I hope Lamictal does work out for you.

--Travis

Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
(female)

Deb822 HB User

my daughter was on Lamictal for 3 months before she developed a bad rash. It covered her entire body. It was hives. She had to immediately stop taking it. It was too bad because the med controlled her seizures.

Closed Thread