It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 08:38 PM   #1

shutang HB User
Angry Job Question

I was recently terminated from my job for having epilepsy. I have had the job for 4 1/2 months now, but they are telling me that because I have epilepsy, I cannot do the job. I asked Why?... I was explained that I could hurt myself or someone else if I were to have a seisure on the job. I run a 2000 LB Forge Press.This is a UAW Union shop and I had thought that if I could physically do the job, but was not allowed to operate the machine due to liability, the Union would be forced to either move me to another position or accomidate my handicap? I am a athletic 27 year old Hockey player and dirt bike rider with fortunately no physical limitations. I now have NO job and NO insurance.... and am not sure exactly what my Family and I are going to do...how the hell is this doing me any good or making any sence? At least before I was getting an income. I should not have to work for min wage just because I am epileptic! Why am I treated differently from a insulin taking Diabetic, or any other prescription taking employee? If anyone has any info they can help me understand all of this confusion with I have WIDE open ears!

Old 11-19-2004, 07:39 AM   #2

buliem HB User
Re: Job Question

Shutang,

My heart goes out to you. You are right. Why should you be any different than a person with diabetes or another ailment? I do understand the safety issue. They are covering their own rears. I know you are out of work but I think you may want to talk to an attorney. Most will do an initial consult for free. Contact your local labor board. They might be able to help. It's a shame the union won't go to bat for you. I'm not going to further open that can of worms as this is a health board not a soap box.

Best Wishes,

Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #3

shutang HB User

Thanks for the support and info Buliem......Im not sure what I'm going to do. It felt really good just to get that off my chest.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
(female)

yolo HB User

Dude
This sucks...
Go speak with the union.... I'd stand up at the next meeting and shout my head off to the rest of the guys. How did they find out. there is a lot of ignorance regarding E. You can always start your own business and tell those *******s to jump in the lake.

Live well

Yolo's
other half

sue those As******

Old 11-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I really do sympathize. I watched my father be passed over for many promotions at his job for many years, due to his epilepsy. It was because he had to get his CDL to get the promotion, and was automatically denied his CDL even though he'd been seizure free with dilantin for 20 years and was allowed to have a regular driver's liscence! It was really frustrating for all of us. You're absolutely right. Why should you be treated any different from an insulin dependent diabetic? They could lose conciousness if they didn't take their medication! I'd also talk to an attorney. I wish my Dad would have done that many times!!!
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread