It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

tms HB User
Smile new

Hi I am new here and i have been reading some of the postings that people have placed on the board. I have seizures they are called simple partial seizures and I am taking Keppra for them. They have not stopped but I feel that they have gotten better. I am unable to drive at the moment and to me that is very frustrating. I was curious if anyone feels that your life is on hold. Is there anyone that drives with the type of seizures I have. Thank you so much for any feed back.
TMS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #2

radasjewel HB User
Re: new

Hi TMS,
Welcome to the board. I know that living life with Epilepsy can be at times infuriating and frustrating however there are ways of getting around things and finding an alternative route to live our lives. I have complex partials, temporal lobes and grand mal siezures. I have been having them my whole life. Despite this I have managed to do alot of things that the doctors said I could not achieve. I now have a car licence with conditions attached (auto car only, no driving for more than an hour straight, for long trips I must have a passnger who is over 18 preferably with licence, if I feel like I am going to have a siezure I am to cease driving immediately no matter where I am and no driving for 4 months after a siezure or until an EEG is approved which ever is first). Techniquely I'm not supposed to live on my own, but I have come up with a living arrangment that has been okayed by my doc.I bought a duplex, I live in one side and rent the other one out to people who are willing to keep an eye on me for a discount. So far this set up has worked with no probs. The thing I find is that you just have to find differant ways of achieving things, I used to feel at times that my life was on hold because of it then I discovered I just had to take the longway round in the end. I am sure you have figured that out though However it is normal to have your grouchy days when you wish you didn't have to live with it and you could swap brains with someone for the next few months to have a break...........lol. Maybe when the doc sees what Keppra will do with your situation, you never know you might be abel to get your licence, I am fortunate enough that I know when I am going to have a siezure and have enough time to stop no matter what. That was one of the main reasons I was allowed to get it. Feel free to talk to anyone here they are all pretty good people. Once again welcome.
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #3

DianaF HB User

HI,

I have the same type of seizures that you do. I too am not able to drive and feel the same frustration. It's nice to be able to relate to someone. I have no one around who understands completely. My husband is really good about taking me places as are my friends, but I do get down sometimes.

I was on Keppra for a couple of years, but still had seizures every 8-12 weeks. I am on Tegretol right now and seem to be doing better.

I have not been able to drive for about a year now. How about you?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

tms HB User

Hi Diana
I have not been able to drive for about five years now and i to have friends who will bring me places and who are willing to this for me. Also i am living at home with my parents and they are great in that when i want to go somewhere they take me but i still feel like i am dependent on them and would in someway like my freedom back.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #5

TanyaWatson HB User

Hi Diana,

I also have simple partials (and occasional grand mals). I am also on Keppra, which helps but certainly is not stopping them completely. I also can't drive and completely understand your feelings of frustration and lack of independence. I have a fabulous support network though - partner, family and friends who are wonderful to me. I felt for a while that my life was on hold but really, only your attitude makes it that way. Accept that you may have some limitations, but work with those boundaries and move forward. We only suffer from epilepsy after all!!

Tanya

Closed Thread