It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #1

buliem HB User
Big Seizure Today Grand Mal Or?

I'm really hating that I have to post this but my son Patrick had had pretty big seizure this morning. He was in the bathroom and I heard a thud. I called his name and there was no answer. I ran in there and he was on the floor seizing. His eyes were open. I called his name and he said yes, yes but I could tell he was pretty out of it. The jerks weren't super violent and he came out of it pretty quickly. He was a little confused after and he said he had a headache. Up until this point we've only seen Absence Seizures (petit mal) I'm not sure if this was just a bigger one of those, a grand mal or a myoclonic seizure. The neuro wants to see us at 1 pm. I'm pretty upset but I'm keeping it together on the outside anyway. Patrick will be 10 tomorrow. Man this is hard.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #2

healinggarden HB User
Re: Big Seizure Today Grand Mal Or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buliem
I'm really hating that I have to post this but my son Patrick had had pretty big seizure this morning. He was in the bathroom and I heard a thud. I called his name and there was no answer. I ran in there and he was on the floor seizing. His eyes were open. I called his name and he said yes, yes but I could tell he was pretty out of it. The jerks weren't super violent and he came out of it pretty quickly. He was a little confused after and he said he had a headache. Up until this point we've only seen Absence Seizures (petit mal) I'm not sure if this was just a bigger one of those, a grand mal or a myoclonic seizure. The neuro wants to see us at 1 pm. I'm pretty upset but I'm keeping it together on the outside anyway. Patrick will be 10 tomorrow. Man this is hard.

Sorry to hear that I hope you get a good diagnosis!

I first started with grand mal seizures as a child, then I had absence seizures, and now I have complex partial seizures. Doctors think it's weird, but I don't seize violently like I did when I was a kid. Is he under large amounts of stress? I always have worse seizures when I'm stressed. I'm hoping you get good news! Keep us updated!

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2004, 04:27 PM   #3

buliem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healinggarden
Sorry to hear that I hope you get a good diagnosis!

I first started with grand mal seizures as a child, then I had absence seizures, and now I have complex partial seizures. Doctors think it's weird, but I don't seize violently like I did when I was a kid. Is he under large amounts of stress? I always have worse seizures when I'm stressed. I'm hoping you get good news! Keep us updated!

Kat

Well I thought maybe this was a atonic clonic. The doctor said yes but maybe he just wasn't listening that closely to me and thought I said tonic clonic. Guess I should have just asked if it was a grand mal or not. He did jerk a little. He upped his dose of depakote to 1000 mgs a day. We are going for an EKG tomorrow morning. He is worried about his heart. He wants to check him for syncope. I pray he doesn't have a heart condition. My friends husband has a rare syndrome that causes his heart to beat irregularly. He had a very similiar seizure a few years back. He had a couple surgeries and now has a pace maker. UGH.

He wasn't stressed but we did have a birthday party for him the day before. We played laser tag. He's not photosensitive so I thought it would be okay. You only turn ten once. Maybe all the excitement was too much for him.

Thanks for the reply.

Keeping fingers crossed and praying of course.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

I hope the med increase helps keeps any more of these away....

I would lean more to a tonic clonic(same as grand mal, new term)....the jerking can be fairly mild for some....

It could also be a complex partial that secondarily generalized since he could talk to you at first.

Headache is pretty common after a seizure.

An ATONIC would be a very fast drop and then the usually recover. There can be atonics that go into a convulsion, though....sorry they neuro was not too specific..

I would not think the party the night before had too much to do with it....the photosensitivity is usually a more immediate reaction and not the next day. Unless he stayed up really late with it all, it is probably just a fluke.

Hang in there!

Old 11-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #5

buliem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakmom
I hope the med increase helps keeps any more of these away....

I would lean more to a tonic clonic(same as grand mal, new term)....the jerking can be fairly mild for some....

It could also be a complex partial that secondarily generalized since he could talk to you at first.

Headache is pretty common after a seizure.

An ATONIC would be a very fast drop and then the usually recover. There can be atonics that go into a convulsion, though....sorry they neuro was not too specific..

I would not think the party the night before had too much to do with it....the photosensitivity is usually a more immediate reaction and not the next day. Unless he stayed up really late with it all, it is probably just a fluke.

Hang in there!

Thanks. I was kind of blaming myself. He did go to sleep at his normal time after the party. He was up sort of late the night before but got to sleep in. I'll feel a lot better when I get the results of the EKG. Funny now I find myself wishing it's only Epilepsy. Never thought I'd say that.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:42 PM   #6

jake's-mom HB User

Probably sleep deprivation instead of lazer tag. And you are right, he only turns 10 once. Jake had a Lazer tag Birthday this year too and I was so worried he would have a seizure in there. He's 8 and we think he has been having the "absence seizures" for at least 3 years. We just thought that was his personality. Our Neuro told us that 50% of children with absence seizures graduate to "Tonic-Clonic" seizures eventually. Jake had his first one in the bathroom one morning as well. We didn't see any jerking, just stiff and drooling. He was completely out of it after. Sometimes he jerked, sometimes he didn't. We never knew he was having seizures. We new something was going on because he started wetting his bed. We just didn't know what.

Jake is seizure free since his Lamictal increase. I hope your med increase helps Patrick too. They just want to play hard and stay up late like the other boys. Good Luck!

Wendy and Jake

Old 12-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #7

buliem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake's-mom
Probably sleep deprivation instead of lazer tag. And you are right, he only turns 10 once. Jake had a Lazer tag Birthday this year too and I was so worried he would have a seizure in there. He's 8 and we think he has been having the "absence seizures" for at least 3 years. We just thought that was his personality. Our Neuro told us that 50% of children with absence seizures graduate to "Tonic-Clonic" seizures eventually. Jake had his first one in the bathroom one morning as well. We didn't see any jerking, just stiff and drooling. He was completely out of it after. Sometimes he jerked, sometimes he didn't. We never knew he was having seizures. We new something was going on because he started wetting his bed. We just didn't know what.

Jake is seizure free since his Lamictal increase. I hope your med increase helps Patrick too. They just want to play hard and stay up late like the other boys. Good Luck!

Wendy and Jake
Thanks Wendy! I'm wondering if we need a med change. He's taking 1000mgs of depakote and is still having Absence in between doses. Funny you should mention the bed wetting. He wet his bed yesterday morning. He basically hasn't done that since before he was potty trained at 3. My husband kind of got after him. I told him it was probably a seizure. Then I said, "You know $%@# happens and so does pee!" Hubby knows better now. I haven't heard back from the neuro regarding the EKG. I did email him and said he didn't have to call me unless it was urgent. We see him again on Friday. I guess as far as his heart goes no news is good news.

Take Care,
Julie

Old 12-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #8

jake's-mom HB User

Yes, Bed wetting is a big clue. Jake potty trained early on his own, so when he started wetting the bed every other week or so, I just thought he was over tired or drank too much too close to bedtime. His first Grand Mal was a real "light bulb" moment for me. So many things should have been clues. But who would have ever imagined E? No one in our family has ever had it that we know of.

Take Care too.

wendy

Closed Thread