It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #1

Jaclynann HB User
Auditory Hallucinations

Does anyone else get these? I don't have voices telling me what to do or anything like that. Mostly just whispers or someone saying my name. I had to go off my medication about 8 months ago because I lost my health insurance and couldn't afford the meds anymore and that seems to be the only time I have the hallucinations. It doesn't interfere with my life... although it usually scares the daylights out of me! The nurse at my neuro said that some people with E do have them. Was she just trying to make me feel better? Does anyone else have them?
Thanks!

Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Auditory Hallucinations

I have heard that some people can have simple partial seizures, especially if they have temporal lobe e that is a whisper. My son has had this and sometimes it is whispered words he cannot understand and sometimes it is as if someone is calling his name. He is a bit angry, confused or agitated when this is going on.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #3

Jaclynann HB User

Thank you Kayakmom!
That's pretty much what happens with me, except I get scared instead of angry, even though I know it's not "real". Like I dope, sometimes I try to figure out what's being said (I never can). I've never heard anyone else talk about this, though, so I thought maybe I had some "other issues" that I didn't know about! I had been terrified to tell the dr. about it, cause I thought they'd lock me up. Thank you. I feel much better now!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #4

TanyaWatson HB User

I was searching on the net a few weeks ago and saw a request from one of the University research centres for people with epilepsy who are experiencing auditory hallucinations to contact them. I can't remember where I saw it but if you do a Google search you may be able to find it. Even if your are not interested in doing that, it will give you some reassurance that you are not going crazy....

Tanya

Old 12-03-2004, 04:13 AM   #5

Jaclynann HB User

Thank you, Tanya!

Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #6

PammyJeanne HB User

Boy oh Boy...thank you for posting this !!!!

For two years I was waking up in the middle of the night out of a sound sleep "hearing" my name being called.....a whisper....PAM
I would look in on my children...look at my husband,everyone was sound asleep.
I also smelled "something burning" ....not toast but something. I never told a soul. I told myself...well it's my grandmother...who had passed, calling me....lol
Finally i did have the courage to tell my PCP who put me on atavan. I was looped, still hearing and smelling things but didnt care...lol
After thinking I was going nuts I did see a neuro....many many tests....and diag. with E.
I can also hear...and it's always on the right side...something that sounds like metal on metal, and a dog bark, but it's only one bark not over and over.
I am so glad to be able to say these things and not feel like someone is going to cart me away to the nut house...lol
Thank you for bringing this up.
I also have had PM and a few GM but this latest combo of meds seem to be ok, Trileptal and Keppra.
The only problem with me, is that after a few months I seem to break thru.
Thanks again.
Pam

Old 12-04-2004, 01:07 PM   #7

Jaclynann HB User

Thank you, Pam! It's so nice to know I'm not alone!!

Old 12-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #8

PammyJeanne HB User

Never alone....never

And when I do feel alone, I come to this board.

Closed Thread