It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

mytimom HB User
Talking New

Hi,
I am new to this board. I had a grand mal seizure on the 18th of November. It was about 11 PM. My husband called the ambulance as this was my first known seizure that was wittnessed. I say this because I swear I had a seizure about 9 years ago this was also at night. I remember the first seconds of it, I think I sat up in bed I was paralized and my arms were out stretched in front of me, my head was bend back, I think my eyes were rolled up in my head, I was scared to death, then I must have had the seizure. My husband didn't wake up that time. I always thought it was a night terror, or a dream anyway.
This seizure I had two weeks ago, started the same way. I remember thinking "oh no not again, help me" I woke up my husband by the convulsions and he said my eyes were open and after I was unconsious for about 10 minutes. I woke up just as they were there coming in the door to take me to the hospital. I am on Dilantin at the moment, but the Neurologist is starting me on Lamictal on Monday. I have a EEG on the 11th of Jan.
I am wondering if you could have epilspey even though I think I have only had 2 seziures and they were so far apart. Is it possible to have a seziure and not even know it?
Sorry this is so long.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

new_mom HB User
Smile Re: New

It is possible to have seizures in your sleep and not know it. I was diagnosed w/ epilepsy when I was 12. I started out having small seizures where I would go into a daze and then it progressed to petit mal where I would have small trembles. My last seizure was in 1995 and it was a grand mal. I was 16 and working at a fast food restaurant. My Dr. started taking me off my meds to see if I had outgrown the seizures. But with the stress of being a teen and working in a fast pace enviroment, I had a grand mal at work one night. I had never had one before and that was my last one. I was in the back away from customers and co-workers and I clearly remember having an aura where my body started to go numb. I fell back and hit my head on the corner of one of those stainless steel tables. I was paralyzed and kept thinking, "God, please help me." I had no control over my body, but I was conscious for a few moments until I blacked out. I felt really embarrassed when I woke up in the ambulance. It can be really scary, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I remember when I was diagnosed, the Dr. explained epilepsy to me in a way that a 12yr old could understand. He said that we all have roads like highways in our brain and electricity travels on these highways carrying info to other parts of our brains. Well, people with epilepsy have potholes in these highways and when the electricity hits these potholes, it can't stay on the highway so it goes to other parts of the brain instead of continuing on the road. That is when you lose control of your body b/c you're getting an electric shock to parts of your brain that controls muscle control. People with small seizures or few seizures have less potholes and/or very small potholes where those with grand mal or frequent seizures have many large potholes. I hope this has shed some light for you. I always like to say when the going gets tough, it could always be worse. Many people cannot control their seizure thru meds. Most of us can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread