It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

new_mom HB User
Exclamation Pregnant w/ epilepsy

I'm epileptic (petit mal) and found out that I'm pregnant. I was 5 weeks pregnant when I found out and I'm now 2 mos along. I take a low dosage of depakote (250 mg/2x daily) and am worried that there might be birth defects. It is an unplanned pregnancy, so I wasn't taking folic acid. Truth be told, I thought I was unable to have children. Big surprise!! My OB upped my folic acid to almost 2 mg/day. I'm hoping it will help, but it is too early to tell. Is there anyone out there that has been in a similiar situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 12:28 PM   #2

healinggarden HB User
Re: Pregnant w/ epilepsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mom
I'm epileptic (petit mal) and found out that I'm pregnant. I was 5 weeks pregnant when I found out and I'm now 2 mos along. I take a low dosage of depakote (250 mg/2x daily) and am worried that there might be birth defects. It is an unplanned pregnancy, so I wasn't taking folic acid. Truth be told, I thought I was unable to have children. Big surprise!! My OB upped my folic acid to almost 2 mg/day. I'm hoping it will help, but it is too early to tell. Is there anyone out there that has been in a similiar situation?
I'm not with child, but I bet you're okay!

We actually ingest alot of folic acid through vitamins and green leafy vegetables. Do you eat cornflakes, Cherrios? Cereals and cereal bars and things of that sort have folic acid as well. It is stated epileptics have a harder time of getting pregnant. I think any folic acid will help, and it's great you've started to take it now! The baby will grow and absorb it As for birth defects you're not in trouble because you're on low dose of epilepsy medicine I wouldn't worry and congrats!

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I am in the same situation right now actually. I was trying, so I have been on folic acid and prenatal vitamns (well actually children's chewables, lol) for a while, but I am on 4mg of folic acid. But like the other poster said, you get some folic acid from your food. Just be very careful that you keep your medicine levels checked often. YOu probably know this but while you are pregnant your blood "expands" so your meds get diluted quicker.
They told me that it would be very hard for me to get pregnant becuase of the disease and because of the meds, but I got preg. before we actually started trying and while I was still on the pill!
I'm not sure about the meds you are on, I take Lamictal and Phenobarbital, which Lamictal is fine, the other can cause some problems, mainly withdrawal, yours is probably the same.
Anyway, good luck and congrats on the baby!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
(female)

melmo524 HB User

I know this is over a year old, but I am really curious and I don't know if I'll get a response, but how did your pregnancy turn out? Was the baby alright? It wasn't born with any defects was it? Was your pregnancy ok? You didn't have any complications did you? I'm taking the same amount of Depakote and my husband and I will be trying to get pregnant in about 3 months. I would really love to hear from you if at all possible. Thank you.

Melmo524

Old 12-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

congrats I to just had my son he's almost 6 months and is doing great .He's already crawling .i was on a high dose of keppra 3000mg,tegretal 800mgs and had to take folic acid tabs at the end of my pregnancey 5mg is what i took .yes i should of started taking them befor my pregnacey but didn't know.but my son is so healthy .he was 6'15lb at birth and now he's 17'5 now so he's doing great plus he was 4 weeks early. you'll be just fine and so will your baby. oh ya getting your back adjusted helps to lower your seiuzere activity . much love dragonprincess

Closed Thread