It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User
Topamax Questions

Hello

I'm new to this board but as so glad I found it!!!
I was wondering if anyone could help with with 2 questions:

1. Is/has anyone (been) on topamax and found that it caused insomnia??

2. what are people's experienced with discontinuing topamax?? specifically, do you RE-GAIN the weight lost, or do you maintain the weight you stopped at???

Thanks y'all!

Holli-Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User
Re: Topamax Questions

Hi Hollie Anne,
My daughter has been on topamax for 4 weeks now. There are lots of side effects..
There is several websites on topamax you might want to search for. Sorry, can't list them here. My daughter was staying up late before she went on the medication, so I can't say that insomnia is one of her side effects. She has fatigue, nausia, tingling, sensitive hearing......everything tastes funny that she eats and the weight loss. She is taking the topamax for migraines. Having the side effects is better than the headaches. Hopefully after a time the side effects will lessen.

I have read that you need to contact your Dr. if your going to go off Topamax. You are suppose to taper down just like you tapered up to reach your maximum dose.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User

Thanks. Yes I would taper down if i chose to go off of it.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

Mel in Ga HB User

Hi, I was on Topamax for about six months. I didn't notice any insomnia, but the weight loss became a big issue because I got under 100 pounds.
When I stopped taking it I did regain the weight eventually.

Mel

Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User

Thanks for responding!

So you re-gained the weight? all of it? how long did it take? Did you just eat more or was it a metabolic thing?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just really concerned.
Thanks
Holli

Old 12-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Holli-Anne,
I don't think the weight loss with Topomax is a metabolic thing. I know my daughter has lost weight with the Topomax but its because the medicine has changed how everything tastes. Since food and soda tastes strange she just doesn't eat like she use to. She eats the healthy food, and drinks water.

I don't know if this is true for everybody else on the topomax......I did find other boards on topomax alone......you'll have to surf the net........

Barb

Old 12-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Talking Re: Topamax Questions

Hi Holli-Ann

I've been on Topamax for quite sometime now!!! I'm up to... 300mg (had to count in my head how many pills I take ) I have lost forty pounds so far, and most the time I really only want to eat around lunch time. My hubby gets pretty mad at me, but if I eat I feel so sick.

May I ask the reason why you are thinking of not taking Topamax? Its been my wonder drug!!! I have only started having major problems with it since I hit the higher dose!!!
Any questions please feel free to ask, I'll try to check in... been away from this board way to long!!!

Take care!!!

Lisa T

Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Lisa T,
How many pills is 300mg? What kind of problems did you run into with a higher dose?
My daughter was taking 2 day and tapered up to 3............After 3 a day she got really sick to her stomach and felt nauseated all day. She dropped the 3rd pill and went back to 2. She is thinking about adding the 3rd pill again. She is on Topamax for continual migraines. She still doesn't feel so good, but she doesn't get headaches as often as she was.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User

Lisa,

the only reason i want to go off of it is that it keeps me up all night. I don't get more than a few hours sleep even though I am exhausted.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Hollie Anne, what are you using topomax for? Thats interesting that it causes insomnia for you. The neuro told us that it causes tiredness so my daughter takes it at night. Shes fatigued all the time from what ever is causing the migraines.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #11
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User

It doubles for me as both an anti-seizure (i have a neuroligcal disorder - not epilepsy but myoclonus) as weel as a mood stabilizer.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User

First off..

Holli-Anne... I have to admit it really surprises me that Topamax keeps you up, but my neuro says it effects everyone differently. And since we are taking it for different reasons maybe that could play into it also. Topamax completely wipes me out. I could sleep day and night and never eat a bite of food or drink a drop of liquid until my lips are plastered together! But I force both upon myself... What dosage are you on? Has it always affected you this way? Or did you just begin it?

hannasnana... well I take five pills in the morning and seven in the evening... each is only 25 mg... its cheaper for me insurance wise to stay on 25s until we figure out the right dosage!! Its funny to me that people take Topamax for migranes, because I have to take Magenisium Oxide because Topamax causes such severe headaches in me!!! Go figure!! You said your daughter is fatigued all the time, is that since she started Topamax? I get very tired after about the fourth hour of taking my T. You also mentioned her getting very sick, I went thru that too. It took me three days, but I did bypass that phase. Please check and see what dosage she is on!!??? Is she getting in the higher dosage? Each uppage for me is harder now.

Anymore questions ask away, I'll try to check back!!!

Lisa T

Old 12-13-2004, 02:44 PM   #13
(female)

Holli-Anne HB User

LIsa.. you haev lost 40 lbs? Did you need to loose any, or are you underweight now? HOw long have you been on it?

Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Lisa,

daughter is on 15 mg twice a day. She is going to try the 3rd pill again with the help of meds for nausia. She was fatigued before the Topamax........How strange you get headaches with Topamax. I'd like to try the magnesium with her too.

Does the topamax just make you lose your appatite? or does food taste different to you? Funny how topamax affects everyone differently.

Thanks for getting back to me!
Barb

Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User

Holli-Anne... Yes dropping the weight is not hurting me yet. I'm 5'9 1/2 and started out weighing 210, I'm now at 170. I started dropping the weight once I reached the 200mg mark. It was very slow at first, but now that I'm upping every three weeks, the weight is really dropping. I'm struggling with the higher dosages though. I get colds very easily now and nausated all the time. I literally must force myself to drink water, because I don't even want that, but Topamax really has helped my seizure control. Once I get my sleep pattern back under control and stress back to a minimum I know I will see more results!!! Oh Yeah..... I started T back in September of 2003 and was raised Very slowly.

Hey Barb... I have never noticed food tasting different for me, just the caffinated drinks. And I can actually drink them now. They don't taste bad anymore, not quite the same, but not bad!!!! Got to quinch that craving once in awhile, you know??!! Topamax completely wipes out my appetite. I usually have (maybe) one time of the day when I get hungry and thats it. How does your daughter do? How old is your daughter??

Take to you both!!

Lisa T

Closed Thread