It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
Exclamation What does this sound like?I need help!!

My son (will be 24 in Jan) is taking 150mg of Lamictal , 400mg of Tegretol XR in the morning,a 200mg of Tegretol in the afternoon, and 150 mg of Lamictal and a 400 mg of Tegretol and a 30mg of phenobarb(we are coming off pheno slowly) and the neuro is increasing the lamictal as we do so. We just started this way of taking the meds on Nov 30. Since this he is been complaining of the back of his neck hurting and then he gets very sick. Throws up several times and this past Monday we went to the ER. His Tegretol level was a bit high so the dr in the ER said to only take a 200 mg of the Tegertol that night. He is still getting sick....almost daily!!! Today we took my son for an MRI and a MRA. We got a call today after the test and was told to come back Monday that the neuro wants to do another test "saw something questionable" but for us not to worry. Yeah,right!
Does this sound like too much meds? His weight is 120. We just increased the Lamictal by 25 mg twice daily. and lowered the pheno from 60 mg at night to 30 mg at night. that was the only change. HE has had only 2 seizures and they lasted only 10 to 20 seconds since the change of meds. With the seizures he has now..he turns his head to the far left,eyes fixed. I can asked him if he is ok and he says very slurred "yes" then he is fine...goes on about what he was doing at the time. Any ideas what is going on??
TIA
Betty

Old 12-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: What does this sound like?I need help!!

Betty, I am so very sorry!! Yikes, how can that neuro tell you to come right in Monday, and not to worry!! (((Betty))) Hang in there. I am sure it will feel like a very long weekend.

I do not know if this is too much meds. IN MY OPINION, if that were what he saw, he would have advised lowering them a bit over the weekend. Sounds like he wants to check on something from the MRI/MRA.....there can be benign things seen that just need checking. Keep telling yourself that.....I am sorry that you have so much to worry on. It is good that he wants you right back and is not making you wait to find out or do more testing.

I really hope that things go ok for him Monday. PLEASE come back and let me know how he is doing....

hang in there! Does the neuro know about his vomiting and neck pain? If not, please tell him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

Thank you Kayakmon for your post and for your good thoughts. I have been checking this board all day for a reply....and I will keep checking.
I will post again after we see the neuro on Monday.
Betty

Old 12-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi Betty

My daughter Bonnie is 14. She has the same type seizures, where she turns her head to the left. They have been worse than that when she has been taken off meds, meds weren't right. She has had them since at least 1st grade probably sooner.

She takes 100 mg lamictal in the morn and 100 mg in the afternoon. She also takes 150 mg trileptal in morn and 300 in afternoon. We are starting to decrease trileptal.
She has never had the neck pain and throwing up.. She does have some back pain probably not related

I know it's hard to not worry after having the doc call you. I'm glad you see him Monday. Please keep in touch.

Debbie

Old 12-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi Betty

There are some post relaled to the headaches on the thread "Lots of New Names Around,Roll Call"

Debbie

Last edited by debvid; 12-11-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debvid
Hi Betty

My daughter Bonnie is 14. She has the same type seizures, where she turns her head to the left. They have been worse than that when she has been taken off meds, meds weren't right. She has had them since at least 1st grade probably sooner.

She takes 100 mg lamictal in the morn and 100 mg in the afternoon. She also takes 150 mg trileptal in morn and 300 in afternoon. We are starting to decrease trileptal.
She has never had the neck pain and throwing up.. She does have some back pain probably not related

I know it's hard to not worry after having the doc call you. I'm glad you see him Monday. Please keep in touch.

Debbie
Debbie , What does you DD weigh? Tripp is 120(was 124) and he is now taking 150mg lamictal am and pm PLUS the Tegerol 400 mg am,200 mg afternoon,and 400 mg pm. going off the pheno so it is now 30 mgs at night only.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi Betty

Bonnie weighs about the same as your son. Not sure exactly. You know how girls are, she tries to hide the scale when she goes to the doc.

Debbie

Closed Thread