It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
(male)

rtyndall HB User
Seizure Meds. and Proper Protocol

What a great board. I'm a 38 year old male who up until 5 years ago, never had a seizure in my life. Then for no reason in 1998, I had my first one. In 2001 I had a had a series of cluster seizures (one right after the other) - that was not pleasant.

Since 2001, I have been doing just fine and my epilepsy was controlled with Depakote. Since I didn't have any symptoms I asked my neuro if I could try getting off the medicine. She agreed we could try to taper off the meds. Well, I tapered off without any problems until the day before yesterday (My 6th day without any depakote). I was sitting in a restaurant with my wife and BAM - it all began to happen again: Brief aura, loss of conciousness, waking up not knowing where I am, bitten tongue, massive headache, body feels like it got hit by a truck etc.

I'm really depressed about my epilepsy because it is keeping from pursuing my dreams of flying airplanes. I'm also upset cuz I had my hopes up that I could possibly get off the meds. I guess that's just not in my plan....

For those of you who are very experienced with seizures I was told to call 9-1-1 whenever they happen because it means something is not right to cause them to break through. My seizures are always the kind where I go unconcious and jerk for several minutes. This last time, the ambulance took me to the hospital and I had another seizure in the E.R. They ended up admitting me to the hospital for an additional day. Is calling 911 the proper thing to do all the time?

Also, do you know of a medicine that's as good as or better than Depakote? It works for me, but it is kind of expensive and I don't have the best RX coverage.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Russ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #2

buliem HB User
Re: Seizure Meds. and Proper Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyndall
What a great board. I'm a 38 year old male who up until 5 years ago, never had a seizure in my life. Then for no reason in 1998, I had my first one. In 2001 I had a had a series of cluster seizures (one right after the other) - that was not pleasant.

Since 2001, I have been doing just fine and my epilepsy was controlled with Depakote. Since I didn't have any symptoms I asked my neuro if I could try getting off the medicine. She agreed we could try to taper off the meds. Well, I tapered off without any problems until the day before yesterday (My 6th day without any depakote). I was sitting in a restaurant with my wife and BAM - it all began to happen again: Brief aura, loss of conciousness, waking up not knowing where I am, bitten tongue, massive headache, body feels like it got hit by a truck etc.

I'm really depressed about my epilepsy because it is keeping from pursuing my dreams of flying airplanes. I'm also upset cuz I had my hopes up that I could possibly get off the meds. I guess that's just not in my plan....

For those of you who are very experienced with seizures I was told to call 9-1-1 whenever they happen because it means something is not right to cause them to break through. My seizures are always the kind where I go unconcious and jerk for several minutes. This last time, the ambulance took me to the hospital and I had another seizure in the E.R. They ended up admitting me to the hospital for an additional day. Is calling 911 the proper thing to do all the time?

Also, do you know of a medicine that's as good as or better than Depakote? It works for me, but it is kind of expensive and I don't have the best RX coverage.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Russ
Hi Russ,
Sorry your seizures came back. My 10 year old son was diagnosed back in Sept. with a Generalized seizure disorder. Mainly Peti Mal (abscence) but he has had at least two Grand Mals after he was put on depakote. His neuro said to call 911 if they last longer than 5 minutes. I know the depakote is pricey. We have a PPO with a 500 deductible for meds per person. His doc just raised his dosage to the max he can have for his weight. 1250 mgs per day. It's really scary because if this doesn't work we'll have to add another med. For his type of seizures his doc says depakote is the best. I of course am not a doctor and cannot comment on your situation. Do some research on meds and talk to your neurologist.

I feel very bad about you not being able to follow your dreams. My son is really into off road vehicles (ATVs etc) and shows quite a bit of promise. He's quite a talented rider and this is his one true love. He'd really like to compete in races but can't now because of his seizures. He's only a little boy so this has been very hard on him. His activities are extremely curtailed. No swimming , biking etc. He just can't do alot of the things other kids can at his age. We do feel your pain. Maybe there is a reason for all of this. Who knows!?

We will be thinking and praying for you that you get your seizures under control and that you can eventually resume your dreams of flying.

Hang in there!

Julie

Closed Thread