It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #1

MSH HB User
Could this be epilepsy?????? I need answers

For a couple of years, on and off, I have been experiencing the following symptoms right when I am about to fall asleep: I start to feel like I'm floating (like on a boat), my body trembles/vibrates, and I feel "off"; the strangest thing is that I see all of these strange, geometrical shapes and colorful shapes floating all around me. I open my eays and they are still there. I also had this strnge smell throughout the night like spaghetti sauce. I feel very numb, almost paralyzed, until I am able to get up and walk around, tunr on the light, then the symptoms disappear, until I try to fall asleep again. This visual and and physica; phenomena happens in spurts, I will go weeks being fine, then a week of misery. I have my full physical in amonth with my doctor which I will bring up, but anyone esle have any experinces like this; does it sound like epilepsy at all; I obviously am new to all of this. I always thought 9it was just symptoms of a panic disorder.. ANy help would be appreciated as it is freaking me out to say the least.

Last edited by MSH; 12-14-2004 at 12:06 PM. Reason: One more important symptom I forgot about

Old 12-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #2

Vie en Rose HB User
Re: Could this be epilepsy?????? I need answers

MSH,
It might be sleep paralysis, which happens to most people at least once or twice in their lives. It occurs more frequently among people with narcolepsy. Here's a quote:

"The characteristics of sleep paralysis are as follows:

Inability to move or speak for 30 seconds - 3 minutes
Speech is difficult or almost impossible
Happens before falling asleep or just after waking up
Can be hereditary
Can be brought on by stress
Sleep paralysis is the experience of waking up (usually form a dream) and feeling paralyzed, except for being able to breathe and move the eyes. Hypnogogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis may occur together. These conditions are common in people with narcolepsy but can also effect others, particularly people who are sleep-deprived. Although a pretty terrifying event, these events are not physically harmful. There are two major types of sleep paralysis: common (typical) also known as CSP and hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis known as HSP.

Differences between CSP and HSP.

CSP is common and universal, HSP is rare and seems to be geographically episodic.
CSP is only unnerving for the sleeper but HSP is accompanied by a nightmare like hallucination.
CSP is of relatively short duration where HSP can last as long as seven or eight minutes.

One of the most important differences between Night Terrors and CSP is that CSPs occurs in Stage one of sleep and Night Terrors occur in stage four. "

It could possibly be epilepsy, tho'. Have you explained this to your doctor?
-Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #3

MSH HB User

That is great info., thank you so much for responding. I am going to look at this new information on the internet right now. I have a yearly physical on December 30th and will bring it up to him. It is a very scary emotion.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #4

MSH HB User

Kim, you are the best. i looked up sleep paralysis along with the hallucinations, and it matches perfectly! I found a site that even has people seeing spinning objects in front of their face with the paralysis and hallucinations which is EXACTLY what I see, along with the floating. I am so thankful that at least now I can put my finger on this thing, even though I will still tell my doctor. Thank you again.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #5

Vie en Rose HB User

I'm glad that helped!
I used to have sleep paralysis in my teens (no hallucinations), & it was terrifying! I never even knew there was a term for it until this past year or so. It found it sort of comforting to know that others experience it, too.
-Kim

Old 12-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #6

Hewie HB User

Hi,

I have had very similar epidsodes off & on also. The short paralysis feeling, the feeling of not being quite all there, buzzing numbness & for me feeling like I have just stopped breathing & have to wake up & consciously think to take a breath (which is scary), and the smell of burnt toast, but I also get spasmodic like jerks of my head, arms, legs & or/body. They are not controllable. I was in an epilepsy monitoring unit for 3 days and told tho they cannot totally rule out epileptic seizure activity, I did not have one whilst there but they said I do have what is called sleep myoclonus - a form of benign seizures or simple partial seizures (I've looked up myoclonus & sleep myoclonus & found it described both ways).

It may help you to look up this sleep myoclonus. Hope this helps..

hewie

Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 AM   #7

MSH HB User

That sounds a lot of what I had. Isn't it scary? Especially the strange smell, although mine was spahghetti sauce for whatever reason. I will look up sleep myoclonus today. Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread