It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

alittledeserted HB User
Question Please help me!

Hey,
I'm fourteen right now and have been seizure free for almost two years, well for the most part. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was eight and was told I would grow out of them by now. For the most part I have but I am a lot like other teenagers, wanting to get out on the road. But for years I've been told that it's dangerous for me to be out there, especially at night since thats when mine used to come. But I've also been told that I could drive if I got my neurologist to sign off and all of that, is this true? I just need a little reasurence. I've been told for half of my life that i can't go do a lot of the things normal kids get to do like go to parties or stay up past midnight or climb trees even for fear of me having a seizure and it would suck so much if this was another thing i got to explain to my friends as well. Thanks!
~ alittledeserted

Last edited by alittledeserted; 12-23-2004 at 10:21 AM. Reason: No one was answering my questions

Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 PM   #2

healinggarden HB User
Re: Please help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittledeserted
Hey,
I'm fourteen right now and have been seizure free for almost two years, well for the most part. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was eight and was told I would grow out of them by now. For the most part I have but I am a lot like other teenagers, wanting to get out on the road. But for years I've been told that it's dangerous for me to be out there, especially at night since thats when mine used to come. But I've also been told that I could drive if I got my neurologist to sign off and all of that, is this true? I just need a little reasurence. I've been told for half of my life that i can't go do a lot of the things normal kids get to do like go to parties or stay up past midnight or climb trees even for fear of me having a seizure and it would suck so much if this was another thing i got to explain to my friends as well. Thanks!
~ alittledeserted
I know in America it depends on the state you live in. You can drive I think after 6 months seizure free or 1 year. You can get a note from your doc saying you haven't had seizures and that should get you your liscence! Have fun getting your liscence and rock on!

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
Re: Just a quick question for those who drive...

I live in Pennsylvania, and I had to be seizure free for 6 months. That meant absolutely no seizures. And then once you can drive, you have to continue to be seizure free, or else I have to start over. For me, it is a big reason to make sure I take my meds, and don't get overly tired and things like that. I went for a 1 and 1/2 year with everyone taking me everywhere. I am the type of person who likes to do for others so this was hard for me, it did teach me alot. It was hard on my family too, we all had to adjust, I am married with a 12 & 14 year old. My daughter who is almost 15 always said how she couldn't wait to get out on the road so she could help, in case I can't drive. I know you are anxious to get on the road, but you must think of safety first, for yourself and others. Just think of what would happen if you were driving down the road in heavy traffic at 65 mph and had a seizure? It wouldn't be a pretty picture. It is great that you are planning now, because if you know what your triggers are, such as staying up late, etc, you can avoid that to remain seizure free. I wish you the best of luck!
Kathy

Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Hello, alittledeserted! I'm assuming that you are currently under the care of a neurologist who knows your seizure history and will know that you have been seizure-free when it's time to get your driver's licence.

You will need to have a letter from him certifying that you are seizure-free when you go to take your drivers test. I just had my licence renewed, and they do ask questions such as "have you ever had a seizure" and "are you currently taking medications to control a seizure disorder". I answered yes to both and my licence was renewed without a hitch. My advice on this issue - and of course all others - is to be honest.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

mytimom HB User

I had my first "documented" seizure (grand mal) about 5 weeks ago. I was told I shouldn't drive for 6 months by my Neurologist, and have to be seizure free for that 6 months. I live in MN.
I too have had my seizures at night, but that can always change.
My first one was 9 years ago. This last seizure was my 2nd one. I am now on medication.
Good luck~

Old 12-28-2004, 04:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User
Re: Mytimom -

I'm in Minnesota too - I was surprised to discover that I had to self-report; that the neuro is only responsible for telling you what the rules are. Scary thought.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
(female)

rocket56 HB User

If you are an epileptic and attempt to drive, you need to think about the consenquences. Kind of like a drunk driver, If you do seize behind the wheel Who will you hurt, what family could you run into and potentially kill. Besides hurt yourself. I know that my daughter was told by her neuro, once that if your an epileptic and drive you can be liable for charges, like murder if you wreck and kill someone. That alone is too scarry. My daughter was seizure free for 6 years and then started again out of the blue. Where do you draw the line?? It was sad when she turned 16 and couldnt get her licence after waiting and being excited about it. But it is something you will learn to live with. Its a hard thing to live with but then there is nothing easy about being an epileptic!!!

Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
(female)

amydianne1 HB User

Hello~

You can look at the Epilepsy Foundation home page and look under "state driving laws" and it tells you what the laws are for your particular state. Some the physicians are required to notify the state, and some aren't (my neurologist isn't required to by law, he just recommends that you don't drive).

Just wanted to give you that info!

Amy

Old 01-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi,

We live in WI and the neuro needs to sign papers saying it's ok to apply to the DMV. You need to be seizure free for 3 months here and if you don't have the paper signed by the neuro, no one would ever know.

Having a 16 year old daughter with E, it is my parental responsibility to keep her and other drivers safe. PERIOD.

We have discussed the cause and affect with her...she understands the seriousness of the situation and is more than prepared to wait.

I couldn't live with myself if something happened that could have been prevented...

Vicki

Closed Thread