It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

ELLIANA HB User
Seizure in front of family!!

Hello Everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I'm really hoping for some support right now even though I know I am to blame. I had a seizure in front of my family on the 23rd. But not only in front of my family, in front of my relatives that are here from Colombia (south america) and that I haven't seen in 7 years! Also they had no idea about my seizures! It was such a mess. I hadn't been taking my meds for a couple days and I have no explanation why. It's been 3 years now and you'd think that it should be second nature by now. This isn't the first seizure that has happened because of this reason. Why am I doing this to myself?? My husband doesn't even bother to ask me if I took my meds. He just says now that he's waiting for the next one. Having all my loved ones witness this seizure although painful and horrible, I think may have been a blessing in disguise for me. But I feel so guilty and so awful that it took that to make me understand.

Does anyone else do this? Not take their meds on and off? Does everyone worry about having a seizure all the time?? Because I never do. Should I? I'm 25 and I got alot taken away from me because of the seizures. I was active duty Navy and from one day to another I wasn't. I know subconcously I'm still a little angry but I'm also grateful for all that I've gained.

I wish you all a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #2

namrata HB User
Re: Seizure in front of family!!

Hey dont worry...Even i used to not take my meds on time. But my mom used to remind m time and again. She threatened me that if i dont take my meds properly and if she has to remind me about taking them all the time i might as well give up all hopes and dreams of going abroad for higher studies. She said she would let me go and risk my life.
My biggest dream is to go abroad for higher studies -and when she said that it really affected me and from that day onwards i started taking meds on time.
U too bear somethig in ur mind. Now that u got an attack, bear in mind that it must have really afffected ur relatives...Do u want them to get worried about u again? No, rite? Then start taking ur meds on time...make it a habit...keep them handy, keep the min ur purse, bedroom, kitchen-everywhere so that whenever u remember u would take them quickly and u would not avoid takign them out of laziness...
All the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I am sorry this happened to you, that is one of my biggest fears. I have had seizures in front of my husband, but not the rest of my family. I don't want my children to see, I think that would be traumatic. I ocasionally miss a dose, but not more than one. One thing that really helped me, especially in the beginning, was my hubby bought me a watch with an alarm on it. I take my meds every 12 hours, so I just set it for 7, and it would go off and I would take them. I wouldn't even have to think about it. This really helped because the meds really messed with my memory. Best of luck to you.
Kathy

Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

Bless your heart! Don't forget those med. I keep my son's med in a pill container with days of the week and AM Noon EVE and PM on them...or I forget....and once in awhile I will still forget but just one dosage.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

curlyQ's HB User

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're human! I have forgotten too. Unfortunately epilepsy does not only effect us, but our loved ones, friends, and even strangers at times! I had a seizure at my prom (how embarrassing is that!) You just have to be careful to take your meds always if you are driving a car. Maybe you can get something to remind you, like a watch with an alarm.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

You asked if everyone worries about having a seizure all the time, and that you don't.

Although I know that I take my meds every single day like clockwork and have never forgotten, I do worry about having a seizure every minute of every day.

Maybe that's why I'm so forgetful - my brain is so busy monitoring itself all the time.

Thinking good and supportive thoughts your way.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
(male)

Kramer_DU HB User

It happens to the best of us. I sue to not take my med just cause I was tired of taking them. Seizures started to become more frequent, now everyone asks if I take my meds. I'm on tegretol and a lot of time, I won't remember if I took them. If I don't take them as soon as I get up and let an hour go by I have this problem of not knowing if I took them or not. Kinda weird, but it happens. Don't let it get to ya. It just happens sometimes.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Elliana,

Sorry to hear of the seizuret that you had, but it may have been a blessing in disguise. That way your family knows now, knows what they look like, what to do and that it isn't the end of the world. Many people live with E without incident.

Were you extra stressed?

I still hope it was Merry for you...Happy New Year!

Vicki

Old 01-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
(female)

kirren HB User

I think that everyone experiments with that at least once. I know my boyfriend did it twice and unfortunately he suffered for it. His body for some reason metabolizes the dilantin so fast that his levels are always low. Do if he misses, can you imagine?
What I really want to say is that he knows now not to mess around with his meds, because he is aware of the consquences. As a matter of fact because of his frequent memory loss, he sometimes doesn't remember if he's taken his meds or not, and that's the truth. He now has a pill organizer where he has his meds in for the whole week, this way he can't forget.

While I'm here, can losing oxygen to the brain affect someone that badly? His recent grand mal seizures ( 3 of them in a row) really pulled a number on him.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
(female)

iceis007 HB User
Talking Re: Seizure in front of family!!

I went for a long time after my diagnosis believing that there was no way I could possibly have epilepsy. Me? No way, things like this don't happen to me.

I came home, threw my med's in the garbage, and continued on with my seizures. (which were partial seizures at the time, with one grand mal) For three years I hid it from everyone, except the family I lived with.

This Decemeber, I was on my way to pick up my five year old daughter from daycare, and as always happens before my seizures, the aura began. Next thing I know, I woke up with no idea where I was and a man standing beside me.
Everything was all blurry, and I had no idea what was going on. I thought maybe this man had drugged me, because I was cold and wet, and I couldn't stand up; I kept falling over. Long story short, the ambulance and police arrived.

They explained that I was in front of the daycare, and that the supervisor had witnessed the seizure, and had called my mother and father already to pick up my daughter.

I told the ambulance drivers that no, i was fine, and I didn't need to go to any hospital. After refusing repetitivly, and against their better judgement, I signed my "refusal note" and the police drove me home. Still with no med's in hand.

Not even five days later, after being informed that when that man had found me just days before face down in the grass, I came home from school, and was cooking with my daughter in the kitchen. My fiance and his brother were in the living room. Next thing I knew, I was waking up, looking down at the blood on my pants, and thinking, oh no, not again.

My fiance had told his brother to call my mother (who lives in the same building) because he "didn't want to let go of me." He said I had banged my head so many times it was killing him to just sit there and watch, so he was trying to hold me.

My tongue was so swollen and sore, I didn't think it would ever get better.

I know that this has been a heck of a lot to read, but if you made it this far, the whole point of this is just to say that no matter how much we hate it, no matter how inferior, or out of control the medication makes us feel, we have to do it.

My five year old every day since then reminds me round the clock to take my pills. Morning, Evening, and before she goes to bed. She has even gone so far as to bring my medication into my bedroom at six oclock in the morning with a cold glass of water, and tell me to wake up and take them. Seeing her mommy have a seizure has, I think, traumatized her in a way that I myself could never imagine.

My mom, my father, my daughter, my fiance, and his brother were all witnesses to the result of me just not wanting to face up to a major factor in my life, and if the medication is what is going to stop that from ever happening to them again, than I will take it forever.

I have Epilepsy. Epilepsy does not have me.

Last edited by iceis007; 01-05-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

ELLIANA HB User

Thank you everyone for responding. I hope you all know how much it helps.

I haven't missed a dose yet, (but I usually never do after a seizure anyways.)
I guess it's time to stop pretending to care and actually face the fact that I do have Epilepsy and I will have to be on meds for the rest of my life.

I know that there is a reason behind all of this. That reason I have not yet discovered. But I know one day I will.

Take Care,
Elli

Last edited by ELLIANA; 01-10-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Closed Thread