It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
night seizures

I have seen that some people have said they had a different kind of seizures, ones that only occured at night. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about that. I tried researching it, but didn't really find anything. I had one grand mal seizure during the day, and the rest have all been at night, during my sleep. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: night seizures

When you research, check for Nocturnal seizures. I have had nocturnal seizures in different forms during my history. My diagnosis is Complex Partial Epilepsy. I started with bed wetting as a young child that continued into adulthood. Next I remember having Simple Partials just before falling asleep. If I woke up wet, I knew I had had a Complex Partial during sleep. Later toward surgery time and when my illness as worsening, Kindling, I started sleep walking and waking up in different parts of the house. My Epileptologist said I was having Complex partials during sleep and they manifested themselves as sleep walking. My very first CP seizure and many others throughout my history involved walking too. How ever your seizures manifest themselves during the day, you could possibly experience during sleep as well. This is specific to the individual so you are the best judge. Also remember that seizure patterns can change and your doc needs to know this. Keeping a detailed record of the seizures as well as how they manifest themselves and what were possible triggers is great data for the doc and for you too. Check Nocturnal Epilepsy/Seizures. It only means seizures that occur during sleep. Phoebe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

Phoebe,
thanks for the info, I will check it out. My seizures were all grand mals, I have been seizure free for a little over a year now by meds, but the side effects....so I have been checking into all possiblities. You said you had surgery? How did that go? The docs were very close to considering surgery for me because no meds were working, but then we found a combination. I don't know if the side effects are worth it though. I just was wondering what your experience has been. Thanks again, and happy new year.
Kathy

Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 AM   #4

gagcas HB User

hi kathy,

my 5 year old son has night seizures too. when we found out about it, his came out during the day also as temper tantrums. but as it progressed the tempers slowely stopped and he only had the nocturnal ones. his came out as night terrors, talking in his sleep, and he too went thru the bed wetting. most of his seizures came out in clusters though. we would see none for a few weeks and then bam.....get hit with them for a week at a time. he has slowly progressed to not having any in a long time. every once in a blue moon he would wet the bed but that would be it. when we had the 24 hour VEEG is when we found out it only manifested itself at night while he was sleeping. good luck to you.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

EthanF HB User

I used to have night time seizures all the time. I would wake up with a stiff feeling in my legs and would notice I had wet the bed.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Bumping for a new member. Phoebe

Closed Thread