It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Exclamation My appointment wasn't what I expected... need some reassurance

First Off... Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!!!!

Okay my neuro totally threw me for a loop... I went to see him on Wednesday (I'm on 300mg of Topamax) and told him I was having a hard time of it. I didn't want to increase anymore and told him of my bloody noses, sore throats, constant runny nose... at first he was like well I have heard of this, but.... well have you lost much weight and I was like yeah over forty pounds (where have you been?) He "thinks" I am over medicated and thats where everything is fitting in. Why somedays I simply can't think and others I can't hold food down.... so...... this is where I need the reassuance part from you guys...... I'm suppposed to drop 100mg of the Topamax just like that. Now my doc has drilled into my head since September of last year how to taper off this med, and now I'm supposed to drop 4 pills in one day and function fine. I'm freaking!!! He is adding Lamictal. 25mg twice a day, but I'm still freaking!!!!! I have NEVER had two meds at once, so maybe this will really help me.

Can weight really play such a big role? Cause side effects, ( not that I don 't trust my doc.... just need my pals input too!!)

Any info I should know about Lamictal?

Thanks for listening and again HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Don't party to hard tonight..... I'll be thinking of all you in my nice warm bed at midnight (I have to go to work at 3am) Be safe!! Talk to you all in 2005...

Lisa T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
Re: My appointment wasn't what I expected... need some reassurance

Lisa,
happy new year to you too! Yes, I too was dropped like that also. I went to the docs and told them how I was feeling, I am on Depakote and Topamax, and they said I was over medicated. They immediately cut both meds in half, no taper, nothing. I guess this is what needs to be done because it is becoming toxic in your system. I did fine, and have been seizure free for over a year now. Good luck!
Kathy

Old 01-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
(female)

RhondaV123 HB User

My daughter is on Lamictal also. She was started at 25 mg a day and was slowly built up on it while reducing her other medication. She never had any problems with it although one reaction is a nasty rash. Luckily she never had that. In fact, she's never had any problems with the Lamictal. I hope you don't either. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 AM   #4

gagcas HB User

hi lisa,

cant really give you the advice on the meds but i did want to say happy new year to you too!!!!! hopefully things work out for you and it all evens out. everyhting is a merry go round i guess with this whole "E" buisiness and it sounds like its your turn for a ride. lol.

how is everything else going with you. we are doing good on this end. gage is better and seems to be adjusting pretty well. i posted an update on him the other day.

take care and i hope it goes smooth with the med drop off

Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hey Lisa,

Take it down the way you feel it needs to be done...the only reason I can think he wants you down right away is if you're toxic...which is a level that is WAY too high. Did he use those words? Katie has been toxic before, and we were told to skip a couple of doses to bring the level down. And to drink extra liquids to wash through the body.

But you have to do it the way you feel is safest for you. I have done things over the years while waiting for the old neuro to make up his mind. Oh well, I know Katie best. So, that was that. Happy to have an Epi now that is really tuned in. And to know the nurses so well, that when you call, they get back to you that day. It is wonderful!

Hopefully you can relax a little more now that the"season" is over. All of the PUSH PUSH PUSH of it. I think next year I'm going to work for Kohl's part-time stocking overnight. I can do either the morning person thing or the night owl. I used to manage restaurants and had to do all of the odd ball shift stuff. A little old for that now tho.

Hang in there...it's your body remember...do what you feel comfortable with. Sorry I wasn't here sooner for yah...

All my best for a Happy & Healthy New Year,
Vicki

Old 01-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

p.s.

I had my suspicious mole "excavated" on Tuesday (12/28). I have 11 stitches (on the top layer of skin and the same inside). He cut a circle bigger than a quarter and smaller than a half dollar and a little over a 1/4 inch deep. I did not enjoy it at all...I was awake, got light headed, sweaty palms, they tipped the procedure table back so I wouldn't pass out (which made me more anxious) and it took 5 or 6 numbing injections before I couldn't feel anything. Took about 40 minutes. I lived through it, but what a baby. I've never had anything done before. I could see his hand come up every time he did a stitch and pulled (yanked) on the thread. UHG! YUCK! Katie said, "look what I went through Mom..." I said, "yeah Katie, you were asleep and didn't know what was going on..." Like that made A*N*Y sense...I can't even begin to equate it. Not even close. She had her life in the balance. I was just a little uncomfortable. Did I feel stupid...

Just had to share that.

Vicki

Old 01-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Lisa, re your weight question. The dosage that was good for you at, say, 150lbs would be too much at 110lbs. You would have less blood volume in which to disperse the drug.

Think of a 300 lb guy having a couple of beers - he doesn't even notice it. Now if I, at 120 lbs, had a couple of beers, I would be dancing on the table on my way to passing out.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

DUH, I never even gave your weight a thought! I forgot you lost all of that weight and if your meds weren't brought down, in relation to the weight, you were probably toxic then. Too much meds for your new body weight.

Way to go Art!

Vicki

Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User

Thanks everyone I've been doing pretty good with the change. I've calmed down !!!(Thanks Art for breaking it down so simple like that.... made more since to me!!) I've lost three more pounds (gotta love it), but my Topamax headaches have come back full force!!! So I upped my Magensium to 500 and I'm giving it one more week before I call my doc. Seems strange that when my dosage gets cut, old side effects that I had lost come back!!??? Makes no sense, does it?

I do have a question about Lamictal, does anyone have trouble with arthritis type pain? And cramping of muscles? Having trouble gripping with my right hand at times and this started two days after I started Lamictal, got to be asociated!

But I'm doing better, holding food down.... not that I want any.... NO SORE THROAT and NO RUNNY NOSE !!!!!!!!! Haven't had any bloody noses either!! So I have to give him credit, he really did know what he was talking about!!!(Not that I ever doubted him )

Hope all is well with all of you!!!

Lisa T

ps Vicki .... You are not a baby, being awake for a procedure is very different than being under. You are aware of what the doctor is actually doing to your body at the moment he is doing it, instead of sleeping thru it. Don't belittle yourself, you are strong when you need to be... So is everything okay now??

Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad to hear the med adjust is going ok. Hopefully the headaches will calm down once the adjustment is stable. Probably a week or so. Also glad to hear the "other" stuff is ok...nose bleeds etc. Katie had been on Lamictal now for 16 months or so and hasn't had any joint pain at all...but everyone is different, you know that for sure. She's on 200mg in the am and 200mg pm.

I'm not going to toot to everyone, but it was month #7 for Katie on Friday Jan. 7th. 7 on the 7th! PG!

I'm fine by the way, thanks for the kind comments. I had the sutures removed on Friday (1/7) and the doc said they got all of what they needed...so the pathology was clear. Amen! Also had another thorough "look" over and he said all was ok. Bared it all...uhg. Hopefully next time I'll be 40 pounds lighter and not care that the doc looks like Josh Groban, but even CUTER! Dark curly gelled hair, cool glasses, bluish green eyes, 5 o'clock shadowed beard...ok, enough. My computer is melting...

Hang in there and hope to hear from you soon...are you guys calming down at work now?

Vicki

Closed Thread