It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

amywalker HB User
Help, Does this sound like a seizure?

Hi,

I'm writing because Im wondering about something. I have an appt with my neurologist this week but till then I was curious - does this sound like a seizure to anyone?

I've been diagnosed with syncope but havent had any luck with medications.

Common progression of symptoms is:
First a pressure in abdomen (about 10 sec).
Then a weird smell (about 10 sec).
Then blurred vision on rt side (about 10 sec).
Then I get very spaced out feeling and disoriented (5 min max). Sometimes I get muscle contraction in my arms or legs at this point.
Then when that's over I'm still kind of out of it for about 5 more min.
After all that is done, then I'm tired for the rest of the day.

This happened several times in a row the other day.

Does anyone think these might be symptoms of a seizure? I had an EEG after 5 hrs of sleep (30 min), but never fell asleep during it, which was normal so I don't think my neuro is considering epilepsy but I am....esp. b/c my dog alerts me about 5 min before one of these episodes occurs. Had normal MRI.

Thanks! Will talk to my doctor this week but till then was curious.

Amy

Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
Re: Help, Does this sound like a seizure?

Hi Amy,

I think you must have a gut feeling regarding this. It does sound like seizure activity to me. Our daughter has had E for 16 years. She was diagnosed at the age of 9 months and had surgery for it June 7, 2004.

Definately keep your neuro appt. and I would ask for another EEG. You need to be TOTALLY sleep deprived. It is VERY important for them to get you to sleep a little and to, at a minimum get to the first sleep cycle. Katie had an EEG in September 04. She had to be sleep deprived...we were up ALL night. Watched movies, ate chocolate & snacked ourselves silly. It was hard. The EEG was set for 7:45am. We were up a total of 28 or 29 hours before we came home to nap.

The sleep level during the EEG is important because the brain wave patterns change as your body goes into a rest/sleep cycle. They can pick up on activity in your brain. It is ALWAYS possible that nothing will show. We knew our daughter had E, but over 16 years she had EEGs that came back unremarkable...which means nothing impportant to report. It wasn't until she had a VEEG, where her meds were removed and she was hospitalized to have her seizures video taped. They had top sleep deprive her there also, 3 hours per night and had to ride an exercise bike 4 times a day for 30 min. each. They try to stress the body into having seizures. This was a 5 day stay for her. Her body was being very stubborn!

If you are having a cluster (a few of these episodes) within the last few days it is the perfect time for you to have an EEG done. The chances are good they may pick up activity that would be helpful.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate...

Vicki

Last edited by tkdmom96; 01-02-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 04:20 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
Re: Help, Does this sound like a seizure?

I agree with having another EEG. It took me having several. I stayed in the hospital 3 times before I had any on the EEG. I also had 2 of the kind you bring home. My last stay at the hospital was 9 days, and I didn't have any seizure activity until the last day! I started to think it was all in my head! Luckily I had a hubby who was witnessing grand mal seizures for me. Best of luck, and go with what you feel is best for you.
Kathy

Closed Thread