It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

StephSorr HB User
brain sclerosis

hi i am new and need a little guidance. i have a newly diagnosed problem, or say my 19 year old son does. his mri showed sclerosis of the brain...has anyone heard of this condition before and where can i get some info. i live in south florida and he already sees the top child neuro around. he is affiliated with miami childrens hospital so i feel confident with that. they are talking surgery with the very most becoming seizure free and the least being no worse off then he is now. seizures but not that often. anyone have any insight for me. thanks a very worried mim

SS

Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
Re: brain sclerosis

Hello and welcome...

Our daughter is 16 and recently had surgery for her seizures (June7, 2004). She was diagnosed with "Mesial Temporal Sclerosis". It is a shrinking of the hippocampus, which is primarily important for short term memory. It all depends on where the sclerosis is. Did the neuro give you an exact location?

Katie had a "left temporal lobectomy/hippocampectomy". She is currrently on one medication (off of the second by last November) and has been seizure free since the surgery. It has been amazing. She use to have 5-10 simple partial seizures a day and 2-3 complex partials per week. She is MUCH more alert. She was diagnosed with E at the age of 9 months. So for us, it has been a long journey.

Fill us in on more detail and we may be able to offer more info to you...happy that you took the time to post!

Vicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: brain sclerosis

When I think of sclerotic tissue or sclerosis, I think of scar tissue. The scar left after an injury, burn, or other insult to the skin does as good a job as it can in performing the functions that type of tissue did before the injury. If you notice, even though a scar on the skin doesn't look the same as that skin did before the insult, it still does a pretty good job of covering the area as before. If you think of a small area of brain tissue that suffered an insult of some sort, the principles are the same in that the cells try to do the job they did before, but it's not exactly the same. Those cells misfire rather than fire as they did before. A seizure can result from that misfiring. Epilepsy is the condition where an area of sclerotic tissue exists and causes seizures. The surgery is to remove that area misfiring or the area of sclerosis, the scar so to speak. You said that your son was seeing the top child neuro. Is this doc an Epileptologist? That is VERY important. A general neuro is not what you need if you are talking surgery. Your son should be treated by an Epileptologist at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center. That is the only place that I would trust my own life to or that of my child or other loved one if brain surgery for epilepsy was planned. You also have to research those too. You talk to the patients or their parents when choosing a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center and Epileptologist as well as neurosurgeon. You do have to do the research because not all are as experienced and adept or skilled at this surgery as others are. Brain tissue does not grow back. I had my surgery 6 years ago, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My diagnosis was Mesial Temporal Sclerosis too. That is what causes the seizures that give the diagnosis of epilepsy. I start more college next week. Please plug in Mesial Temporal Sclerosis or the specific type your son has in the Search feature. There is a lot of info here. Phoebe

Last edited by Phoebe; 01-07-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Closed Thread