It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

iceis007 HB User
Carbamezapine and Pregnancy ?

Hi I am new to the board and I was wondering if maybe anyone had any advice. Although I haven't yet missed a period, I have this gut (no pun intended) feeling that I am pregnant. I have quite a few symptoms. Now, the pregnancy was not planned, it would be more than welcome, however, I have been taking Carbamezapine since around the beginning of December.
My Neurologist didn't explain any side effects of the medication to me whatsoever, but when I came home I did so much research on the internet about it my eyes were sore. I did pull up a lot of info that says that it is quite dangerous to become pregnant while on this medication. Is there anyone out there who knows more about this? I am bound to have a handicap child (which would also be more than welcome, I will accept what God gives me but if there is anything I can do personally to prevent this ...) or is there just a chance? Has anyone been in this situation or know of any websites I can look through to help me further? Thanks so much in advance, and I hope all of you are doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
(female)

Cammi72 HB User
Smile Re: Carbamezapine and Pregnancy ?

Hello! I have been on Tegretol/Carbamezapine since I was 17 years old. (I'm now 32!) I have 2 very healthy, full of energy kids, one is 5 and the other 17 months. I was just as worried as you are when I was pregnant with both of them. The way I looked at it with both pregnancies is there is a reason for everything. A person could be very healthy, eat healthy, exercise and on no medication and have a difficult pregnancy or an unhealthy baby. When I was pregnant with both of my kids, I didn't change anything I still took my meds like I was suppose to. IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THAT!!!!

Good luck and Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Cammi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Carbamezapine and Pregnancy ?

Well it is a class D drug. However the risk of having a seizure when pregnant and the effect of that on the baby is pretty high! So, in a lot of cases it is best to keep on your meds. I take lamictal and phenobarbital. And although phenobarbital is listed as a class D drug, the effects dont' outweigh the danger of having a seizure. And if you talk to a maternal fetal medincine doctor, which you will need to do, they will most likely tell you that even though alot of drugs are rated D, they aren't really that much to worry about. However, you should be taking folic acid, at least 4mg a day! And start takign it NOW. you cant' overdose, and it won't hurt the baby. And if you find out you aren't pregnant, continue takign it, cause all the damage that those medicines do are done in the first few weeks you are pregnant. But with lots of folic acid, y ou can significantly lower you risk of havign a child with nerual or spinal defects! And then all you can do is pray. And trust me I have done a lot of that! Also you will probably need to have alot of ultrasounds, which is great! Good luck!

Closed Thread