It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #1

healinggarden HB User
Older Generation Weird about Seizures?

My husband's parents who are in their 60's are very nice people, just suspicious of seizures. Ah the year 2005 and nothing has changed.

They swear I don't have them because I don't fall on the ground and shake. I have Complex Partial and apart from the mood swings they have no clue. I've explained it a trillion times and still nothing.

They act like it's catching. RUN! The epilepsy bug will infect you lol

My parents are super great about my epilepsy, understanding and warm and so is my husband. His mom constantly wants me to be social. I feel like she's showing the "seizure freak" off. Am I being paranoid or do alot of the older generation still think I'm infected with a evil spirit or something?

Kat

Old 01-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #2

buliem HB User
Re: Older Generation Weird about Seizures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by healinggarden
My husband's parents who are in their 60's are very nice people, just suspicious of seizures. Ah the year 2005 and nothing has changed.

They swear I don't have them because I don't fall on the ground and shake. I have Complex Partial and apart from the mood swings they have no clue. I've explained it a trillion times and still nothing.

They act like it's catching. RUN! The epilepsy bug will infect you lol

My parents are super great about my epilepsy, understanding and warm and so is my husband. His mom constantly wants me to be social. I feel like she's showing the "seizure freak" off. Am I being paranoid or do alot of the older generation still think I'm infected with a evil spirit or something?

Kat

I think the older generation are "weird" about E. My almost 90 year old grandmother started having seizures when she was 15. She only had one at school (the first one) that anyone saw. Otherwise she would feel one coming on and ask to be excused to the ladies room. She'd go lie down, have her seizure and then go back to class. She told me not to tell anyone about my son's E. Bull! He has nothing to be ashamed of. So far he's only had them when he's in bed or shortly after waking up. The grand mal's anyway. He has the petit mals anytime of day. He just told his entire class about his seizures last Friday. He also told the kid next door today. I'm very proud of him. He's very brave for ten.

My mom totally over reacts. She said we should call 911 everytime Patrick has a grand mal. Well he had one this morning. We just road it out. It wasn't quite as bad as the one he had last week. That or I'm just getting used to it.

I think alot of people old and not so old are weird about it. Once you see a big seizure a couple of times it ceases to be so shocking. Other people just don't understand. It's like they are back in Bible days and they think the person is under a demonic possesion. So ignorant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

Tulac HB User

hi
i dont think the older generation are weird as such they were just never told the truth about epilepsy. but i have found that ignorance is not just with the older people.
their are people of all ages that dont understand. and maybe if im honest if i wasent epileptic myself maybe i wouldent be so understanding myself. I dont blame people for what they dont know I tell them the truth if they choose to be negative then thats up to them its hard to change the way people think but i keep trying.
tulac

Old 01-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #4

healinggarden HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buliem
I think the older generation are "weird" about E. My almost 90 year old grandmother started having seizures when she was 15. She only had one at school (the first one) that anyone saw. Otherwise she would feel one coming on and ask to be excused to the ladies room. She'd go lie down, have her seizure and then go back to class. She told me not to tell anyone about my son's E. Bull! He has nothing to be ashamed of. So far he's only had them when he's in bed or shortly after waking up. The grand mal's anyway. He has the petit mals anytime of day. He just told his entire class about his seizures last Friday. He also told the kid next door today. I'm very proud of him. He's very brave for ten.

My mom totally over reacts. She said we should call 911 everytime Patrick has a grand mal. Well he had one this morning. We just road it out. It wasn't quite as bad as the one he had last week. That or I'm just getting used to it.

I think alot of people old and not so old are weird about it. Once you see a big seizure a couple of times it ceases to be so shocking. Other people just don't understand. It's like they are back in Bible days and they think the person is under a demonic possesion. So ignorant.
I think so too, my epilepsy seems to be a family problem. No one ever discussed it growing up, whomever (looking back alot of people in my family had it) had it just had to "act normal". Argh! I hate it when people act like it's something to be ashamed of. I'm not excited I have seizures but it's there and I have to deal with it. I get tired of ignorance, and it's sad most people don't want to understand. The ignorance cloud must be very comfortable

Your son is very brave! I wish I could of done that at his age! It's great you encourage him! Mine was hidden for a long time and that still hampers me alot to this day.

I think you can get used to seeing/dealing with seizures. It's not so weird nowadays for me, but those who aren't used to it think I'm throwing a temper tantrum lol

Yep, I think most people think I'm possessed When I throw up green stuff like on the Poltergeist then they can think I'm possessed

Thanks for the encouragment!

Kat

Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #5

healinggarden HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulac
hi
i dont think the older generation are weird as such they were just never told the truth about epilepsy. but i have found that ignorance is not just with the older people.
their are people of all ages that dont understand. and maybe if im honest if i wasent epileptic myself maybe i wouldent be so understanding myself. I dont blame people for what they dont know I tell them the truth if they choose to be negative then thats up to them its hard to change the way people think but i keep trying.
tulac
True, you deal with it much better than me!

I'm in the angry stage of being labeled and people being weird to me. I'm glad we're not in the days where they lobotomize you anymore. My hubby's family would be volunteering me lol

I explain but it seems everyone is used to grand mal seizures. I have absence and CP and they are like what? Are those real Nah, I just made it up

Thanks for the responce!
Kat

Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ZapGC HB User

I have found it is definatly not just the older generation. We as a country have come a long way though i really feel there is a lot that could still be done. I mean we have passed the burning people at the steak thing. The putting people with epilepsy into crazy homes to fry their brains to try to reproduce the "magic" they hold seems to have been stopped too thank god and I know this has happened as close as 4 generations ago. Like I always say honesty is the best policy. God watches over his chosen hero's and Lord knows you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Let's just hope the old ideals about our wonderful lives can die with the older generation.

Last edited by ZapGC; 01-17-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

You all deal with this much better than me I am very embarassed about it and don't tell anyone, only a few people know and I don't talk about it at all! I know that is silly, but oh well. Mine had been under control for almost 5 years before i got pregnant but with that comes problems. Once I had one at work and they called EMS and made me ride out on the stretcher, as if I wasn't embarssed enough. But two days ago I had the aura of one, but not the whole thing, luckily, but DH, who is a nurse, doenst' believe me, thinks i had a panic attack. anyway good luck to all

Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

You all deal with this much better than me I am very embarassed about it and don't tell anyone, only a few people know and I don't talk about it at all! I know that is silly, but oh well. Mine had been under control for almost 5 years before i got pregnant but with that comes problems. Once I had one at work and they called EMS and made me ride out on the stretcher, as if I wasn't embarssed enough. But two days ago I had the aura of one, but not the whole thing, luckily, but DH, who is a nurse, doenst' believe me, thinks i had a panic attack. anyway good luck to all

Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Old 01-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #10

ticktock HB User

I don't think it's always ignorance. When you aren't used to seizures they can be scary to witness. People around you, love you, and don't want you to get hurt. They want to help but are helpless. It's an uncomfortable feeling.
Keep up your good attitude. The others will either get used to it or leave. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

A large issue is education. I made sure my workplace was aware I had seizures so they wouldn't push the panic button. It turned out the supervisor's son had seizures, so it was not a problem.

However if it happens in restraunts, even with friends (mild seizure) they called the medics against my parties wishes. I was forced into the ambulance, my party could NOT come with.

Another establishment most likely may have, but I had a nurse eating next to me, and it was a very minor spell. Thankfully she knew to tell them not to call and just watched me. I came to within 30 seconds.

I do agree the older generation "hid" their seizures. My mothers side had minor seizures but it was never mentioned as if they were ashamed about them. My great grandmother and great aunt both had seizures starting in their youth and I didn't know about it until many years later.

--Travis

Old 05-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
(female)

emily82 HB User

You should be happy that they still even talk to you!! when i was diagnosed at 15 my grandparents quite clearly stated that i was now posessed by the Devil and that they would not have anything further to do with me! They went as far as to suggest to my parents that they chain me to my bed and hire a priest to drive the demons out of me!!! I know this sounds like the scene from the Excorcist but this was their view of epilepsy! Now i am not a very religious person so i quite clearly told them where to go. But still to this day ( i am now 23) will not speak with me and even at my fathers funeral they turned to me and said that his death was my fault!!

So be happy that they even moderatly understand and yes i wholeheartedly agree with you that the older generations view on this is severly warped!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Emily

Old 05-22-2005, 12:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Some areas down south still will say to go see a place of worship!!! When I first heard that I had to do a double take. This is the 21st century isn't it? I thought that pratice went out a good 100 years ago.

In some states as late as the 60's I think they would (whats the best word to use) make it so even epileptics ("feeble minded" as they tagged us) could not have children. If it was out of fear or what have you; it is poorly understood their decision process made in private. This was from a recent airing on the local news channel down south last Thursday. The decisions were even made for children as young as 6 (not a typo, SIX years old).

Possible this is what some feared from the older generations and is why they kept it quiet and out of site. Now with disabilities in public and talked about openly, there is no fear of repercussions as there once was.

--Travis

Closed Thread