It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #1

DianaF HB User
nerosurgery

Hi,

I just received an appointment with a nerosurgeon.

I am opting for this because I have so many problems taking the seizure medications.

Has anyone had the surgery? What were your experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: nerosurgery

I have had this surgery. Mine was a Right ATL with Amygdalo-hippocampectomy. You have a lot of research to do on the procedure as well as the team caring for you. It wathe best things I have ever done fo myself, and I would do it again if needed provided I had the same team caring for me. You have several tests to do before they can say you are even a candidate. Candidacy is based on the results of these tests. Have you had any the tests, or are you in the beginning phases? Are you presently being treated at a Cmprehensive Epilepsy Center or by a general neuro still. A comp Cente is a must. Please use the search feature and put in Epilepsy Surgery. You will find many threads already here on this subject. Feel free to ask questions too of course, but please do your research on all aspects of the procedure and team etc. Welcome. I bumped a thread for you, but there are others too. Phoebe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #3

DianaF HB User

Hello,

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, I have had all the test required for the surgery. I meet with the nerosurgeon Monday. I have a list of questions to ask him. Mine will be done at Loma Linda University here in Califorina.

Where did you have your done? and when?

What is life like for you now since you had the surgery? Any side effects from it?

My seizures are coming from the left temoral lobe. I have partial and complex seizures. What type did you have? How long were you afflicted with seizures? I have had them for almost 5 years. I am 44 years old.

Please write back

Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Diana,

One of the most imoprtant things you need to be clear on is::::

Where is your memory center located? If they remove the left temporal lobe, do you have sufficient memory on the right side to compensate??? That is the biggest question for you, along with the success rate of the neurosurgeon of course.

Katie had seized from the age of 9 months, that the majority of her memory center moved to the right side. You have just started seizing over the last 5 years...what did they tell you about your possible memory outcomes after surgery? Do you have bi-lateral memory?

Maybe make a list of some of your general questions (nothing personal if you don't want) you are going to ask, to sound off to us, so we can maybe help you out, if you would like.

This is a HUGE decision to make and you need to make it with your EYES WIDE OPEN...no guesses or unanswered questions. Once it's done, it's done.

Katie also had a hippocampectomy with her left temporal lobectomy. Katie's pathology report came back conclusive for the Mesial Temporal Sclerosis.

Vicki

Closed Thread