It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

sweetwvgurl1 HB User
Question Need Answers Quickly Please...I am worried

Hello everyone,
I am a worried best-friend and I really need some answers. First of all when it comes to seizures I do not know anything about them and what is considered normal when someone is having one. My best-friend has been diagnosed with a pseudo tumor and has had 2 surgeries within the last 2 years. Following her first surgery she started having seizures and does not have them all the time but when she does they seem extremely worse than I have heard other people and their experiences with them. I know there are different types of seizures I am just not sure which one she is having. Here is the deal-she starts out with the involuntary movement just going everywhere, and then her lips will turn blue and her face will sink in and her eyes actually roll to the back of her head, she is biting her tongue, and this is the part that really scares me she looks as if there is no brain activity going on whatsoever in her eyes, her upper teeth are like moved forward, and her face is sunken in this will last 3 to 7 minutes sometimes. When she finally comes to a little bit she has no idea who is around her she looks like a totally different person, she actually looks like a vegetable, she has no clue what is going on and is really paranoid. Is this a normal behavior that comes with having a seizure? I was scared out of my mind I thought she would never come back and was going to die or be a vegetable. She will not see a doctor and this is really scaring me, what should I do? How can I help her? Please somebody if they have any information it would be greatly appreciated...Thank you so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #2

radasjewel HB User
Re: Need Answers Quickly Please...I am worried

Hi there,
Speaking from personal experiance here, what you have described sounds like a Grand Mal siezure to me. I have had them through most of my life and by all accounts from my family and friends this is exactly what happens. Normally I don't recognize people during a siezure and it usually takes me week to fully recover from a huge one. Often I will be looking my mother straight in the face and look and talk to her like she is some stranger I have never met and I will have no recolection of it. I will have no memory of things leading up to it for months sometimes. Don't worry too much (I know this is easier siad than done) but siezures can get very violent and if you don't know for sure what is normal and whats not it can be scary. Get your friend to speak to a neurologist or doctor about some anti-convulsants or other medication to help control the siezures this will be bound to help. Also get her to start keeping a diary on when she has them that will help the doctor. Please insist on it as the more siezures she has and the more intense they are it can do possibily do some damage to the brain. I have had 2 major siezures that have done that in the past and it has affected my thought process which is now alot slower from it. If need be get your friend on here and let her talk to us, let her know the siezures can be controled.
Hope this helps Lori

Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #3

buliem HB User

Hi,
What you described is the same kind of seizure I witness in my son. He thankfully hasn't bit his tongue during a Grand Mal (Tonic Clonic) seizure. Don't worry about the turning blue part (easier said than done I know) during the tonic phase (stiff jaw clenching part) the body sends 4 times the blood to the brain to protect it. The person ends up looking blue because the blood is pulled away from the skin. In some ways the blue part is a good sign. If her seizure last longer than 5 minutes (the stiff/ jerking part) you should call for help. After the seizure she may pass out cold. This is normal. The brain is very fatigued after the seizure. Hope this helps. I think your friend is very lucky to have you!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

sweetwvgurl1 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies...it is very comforting to know there are people who have knowledge and are willing to help and share experiences. Again the best of luck to everyone and thank you very very much.

Closed Thread