It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #1

BillnJenn HB User
Sleep Deprived EEG in morning

Going for an EEG in the morning due to two grand mal seizures in the last two weeks. They wanted it sleep deprived, so I'm right now on a caffeine and beef jerky high . The neuro thought that the first seizure was caused by an anti-depressant I was taking (Wellbutrin), but after weaning off, I had another. Now they are thinking along the epilepsy line, since I've had times since I was a child where I just seem to lose track of time for a few minutes. That used to be a scary feeling, but I guess you just kind of get used to it. Anyway, I just wanted to type to some folks that I know (from reading all of your posts) would understand...

Billy

Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #2

buliem HB User
Re: Sleep Deprived EEG in morning

Good luck! My son had his sleep deprived EEG this morning. He was so tired he fell asleep just as planned. I have no idea what the reults were. The tech wouldn't tell me. He did seem to jerk a little in his sleep. He BTW has absence (petit mal) and tonic clonic (grand mal) E. Just keep reminding yourself that it will be over soon and then you can sleep! I've been up since 4 am after going to bed after 11pm. I'm off to bed. After Lost anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
(male)

Kramer_DU HB User

Everyone loves to be sleep deprived. Just had one about 2 weeks ago. Problem was, I couldn't have cafiene. Good luck with it, at least you get to fall asleep for a while now.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

I'm surprised that you're allowed caffeine to stay awake. The instruction booklet I got specifically said no caffeine.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Hope it goes ok! Yes, we have been told that caffeine is not a good idea....

Old 01-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #6

buliem HB User

Yep we were told no caffeine too. Let us know how it went.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #7

BillnJenn HB User

After I got there, I was asked if I had drank or ate anything the night before with caffeine. They said that I should have been informed by the neuro that caffeine was a no-no, but they did the EEG anyway. Now, I have to have another without the caffeine. Oh what joy.... When I came home from the hospital and read these posts--I thought you guys were smarter than my neuro Anyway, I was put on 500mg of Depakote to start with, and so far, no more episodes.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Glad you have Depakote on board, sure hope it helps! SO sorry they did not tell you ahead of time about the caffeine!! Hope they get some info anyway!

Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #9

buliem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnJenn
After I got there, I was asked if I had drank or ate anything the night before with caffeine. They said that I should have been informed by the neuro that caffeine was a no-no, but they did the EEG anyway. Now, I have to have another without the caffeine. Oh what joy.... When I came home from the hospital and read these posts--I thought you guys were smarter than my neuro Anyway, I was put on 500mg of Depakote to start with, and so far, no more episodes.

Sometimes I think we're smarter than all our neuros. Good luck with the depakote. My son's on 1500 mg per day. No obvious seizures this week but he's been pretty darn lethargic. He's sick too with a cold so he's pretty much been a mess this week. Whiny, unable to do his schoolwork, and he just broke the clip on the sun visor in my car. He's really not using the brain God gave him. Calgon take me away!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #10

BillnJenn HB User

So, far the doc says to start out at 500mg at bedtime, and then we'll go from there. I know this sounds so CRAZY, but I'm glad I had the two tonic clonics. Now, I know that I'm not crazy, since epilepsy would greatly explain a lot of problems I've always had. Doc's put me on anti-depressants for what I now see were probably seizure related symptoms. Now that I might be able to pin-point an actual "disease", I feel like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #11

TanyaWatson HB User

That doesn't sound crazy to me at all - I felt exactly the same way when I was diagnosed. It explained away so many things I'd been experiencing for so long but nobody could tell me what was wrong with me. I am also on Depakote (we call it Epilim in Australia) and it works fantastically for me. Good luck to you.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #12

BillnJenn HB User

I was told for a long time that all I had was the epstein-barr virus, or chronic fatigue syndrome. I was never totally comfortable with that diagnosis, but I figured the docs knew more than I did--and trusted their diagnosis. I'm going to continue on the depakote, but am thinking of also trying some homeopathic paths to see if the two together can help me be a whole person again.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #13

TanyaWatson HB User

That is amazing - they were going down the same path with me. I had had the epstein barr virus when I was younger and they were saying that the symptoms I now had must have been chronic fatigue as a result. I never believed it really but could find no other explanation either. Well at least now we know...

Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #14

BillnJenn HB User

The diagnosis of epstein-barr is still so controversial, that I'm glad that I no longer have to rely on that. Although I just found out that the EEG that I had was normal--my neuro told me that does not rule out epi as a diagnosis. She said that possibly there was no activity at that time, and since I had the caffeine--that could have possibly altered the outcome. She's going to raise my depakote a bit to 750mg a day since I'm still noticing some periods of fuzziness during the day.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #15

buliem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnJenn
The diagnosis of epstein-barr is still so controversial, that I'm glad that I no longer have to rely on that. Although I just found out that the EEG that I had was normal--my neuro told me that does not rule out epi as a diagnosis. She said that possibly there was no activity at that time, and since I had the caffeine--that could have possibly altered the outcome. She's going to raise my depakote a bit to 750mg a day since I'm still noticing some periods of fuzziness during the day.
BillnJenn please let me know how you are feeling periodically on the depakote. My son has been having alot of learning problems ever since being placed on it. He can't seem to grasp things as quickly or at all. He's even backslid on things he was previously competent at. The neuro keeps insisting its either the seizures or just his brain. I find this hard to believe as I am continually reading about depakotes negative effects on cognition. My sister was on it for bipolar and she went off because she couldn't think. Of course she only gave it a month or two. Sometimes it takes awhile to adjust to meds. She like you was on 750 mg. Patrick's on 1500 mg and he's ten. The teacher is on his back and mine. I know the neuro will never say it is the drugs but I know how he was before. I'm sort of taking an informal survey. Anyone elses input would be greatly appreciated. I hate to beat a dead horse but we are both really frustrated and it is hard for him to tell me how he feels.

Thanks,
Julie

Closed Thread