It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

stcarlsen HB User
Talking Dizziness And Abnormal Eeg!

Hi i have had a dizziness problem for the last seven months, and have had all the tests for it, and they have all been normal, but i just had an EEG, which showed some seizure activity in the temporal lobe. I feel dizzy almost all the time when i am standing, and it help quite a bit when i am sitting and lying down. I have had a brain MRI also, which came out normal. My neuro thinks it could be complex partial seizures. Does anyone else have these symptoms or can you explain them. i have also had some muscle spasms and feelings of buzzing or vibration in my legs, thighs, feet and sometimes shoulder, and a slight tremor in my hands. i have never had a noticeable seizure, and i haven't seen many cases like this on the internet, where the dizziness is every day, fluctuating in intensity, but has been getting worse over time. can anyone help explain this, and hopefully offer advise and/or encouragement. thanks.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #2

TanyaWatson HB User
Re: Dizziness And Abnormal Eeg!

Hi there. Yes I can definitely relate to this. I had about a year and a half of dizzyness before I had a tonic clonic and was diagnosed with E from an abnormal eeg. Unfortunately, while investing my dizzy spells I wasn't given an eeg so E was never even considered as an option prior to "the big one" as I fondly refer to it! I also get the buzzing/ tingling sensation through my right shoulder area. Are you seeing a neurologist? Have they recommended medication? It has been a tough road finding the right medication for me but it does really help.

Anyway, you have come to the right place for support. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.

Tanya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

Hi, thanks for replying, i am on tegretol, and it seems to be settling with my system well, i have had no real bad side effects, (i dont read labels or other peoples info on medicine because that usually makes me have the side effects!) i am seeing a neurologist, and he is a family friend, so i know he cares. what did your dizziness feel like. was it constant? sometimes i feel like i am swaying or sinking or rocking when standing still. does that sound familiar? has your dizziness gone away for the most part? thanks for your help.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #4

TanyaWatson HB User

Great to hear you have a good neuro - that is good step! My dizziness has pretty much gone completely. On the really bad days I couldn't even sit at my desk with my legs crossed. I would have to have both feet firmly on the floor with my hands flat on the desk to make myself feel as though I wasn't going to fall over. If I was standing, I would have to sit or lie down, and if I was already lying down, I would just have to wait for it to pass. It was never quite constant though, but leading up to 'the big one' it was happpening up to every 5 or 10 minutes - I wasn't feeling very good at that stage - I am sure you understand... How long have you been on this med? Does it seem to be helping yet?

Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

i have only been on it less than a week, and it hasn't seemed to help very much, but at least i am tolerating it so far, my doc said it may take a bit, so i am just waiting. do you understand how it makes me dizzy so often when i dont have any noticeable seizures. i have the dizziness EVERY day, no matter what and it seems to follow a pattern. am i having seizures every day, or do the little seizures just knock things out of whack for a while? did you have any other symptoms with the dizziness? do you have any other recommendations like diet, exercise or anything that might help? thanks alot for your help.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #6

TanyaWatson HB User

As far as I understand it - I am still a learner too, only diagnosed July last year - the dizzy spells are all partial seizures. These can eventually generalise and become a tonic-clonic (grand mal), which is what happened to me.

I definitely had other symptoms with the dizzines, which I once again didn't know were part of having E. The skin crawling/ tingling feeling, odd heart rate occasionally, overwhelming feeelings of dread/ anxiety for no apparent reason.

Recommendations - there are a few general ones for us types! Lots of things reduce your seizure threshold ie. make you more likely to have a seizure. Lack of sleep, stress, alcohol. There may be things specific to your meds that you should avoid as well. Check with your neuro or look the med up on the internet - some other medications may react badly with yours. I also take B group vitamins as these are often recommended, not necessarily by the doctors, but through these forums. In general I guess we should all try and lead as healthy a lifestyle as possible - it can't hurt! In terms of diet, the Ketogenic Diet seems to work for kids only. Ther is vague talk occasionally that the Atkins Diet may also have some effect but I never seem to be able to find any further info on that.

Hope this helps

Tanya

Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User

Yep, dizziness will do it!
Hiya: Dizziness was about the only symptoms I was experiencing for years before I finally went to the MD after a major blast from fatigue and stress (an excellent combination goes great with emergency rooms!). I had some strange little blips on an EEG that the MD's dx'd as partial seizures. Oh crap I said, not me! But some Tegretol later and I don't have the dizzy creepies anymore. Please don't avoid treatment because a major generalized seizure can be bad news. Take care of yourself.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #8

TanyaWatson HB User

Just wondering how things are going for you? How are you coping with the meds? Is the dizzyness backing off at all yet? Hope you are doing well.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Hi - just chiming in a little late.

Dizziness or as I described it "floor tipping" was my first symptom 18 months ago. Like you, I did all the normal tests with my Ear/Nose/Throat guy thinking I had an ear infection. When those tests came back normal, I had an MRI done which showed a couple of white spots and he thought that maybe a neurologist could explain what they were.

First words out of neuro's mouth were that the "tipping" was a classic sign of epilepsy and he put me on dilantin immediately. Had 2 EEG's done (awake and sleep-deprived) and both were abnormal.

No seizures (that I know of) since then and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Neuro said he'd try to wean me off the dilantin after I've been seizure-free for a couple of years. Six months to go.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

I Have Been On The Tegretol For A Week And A Half, And Amazingly I Am Actually Having Less Dizziness. I Am Keeping My Fingers Crossed And I Will Keep You Posted, Thanks And Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #11

TanyaWatson HB User

Fantastic news - that's what we all wanted to hear!

Closed Thread