It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
(male)

jurry HB User
Flashing lights

I met a woman recently who I really hit it off with who told me that because of her epilepsy, she couldn't be around or subjected to flashing/strobe lights. Why is this the case? Does anyone have an idea?

Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Flashing lights

Some people with Epilepsy have photic sensitivity, this means that flashing lights can set off a seizure. It can be the big flashing strobes, but it can also be flickering of a bad lightbulb(especially flourescent), store displays that have strobes or flashing lights, Light flickering through trees on a winter drive, Flash bulbs(Like in a stadium where there are a lot)>...For some who are really sensitive to this video games, big screen TVs or even some things on movies will trigger seizures....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
(male)

jurry HB User

Thanks for the response. I didn't have any idea that this would even be an issue. I will keep this in mind moving forward. Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #4

TanyaWatson HB User

I just wanted to say that it is nice to see that you are caring enough to come here and try to find information. Very impressive - I hope everything goes well for you two.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

That person MAY find it that polarized sunglasses; or specific color (hue) glasses may help subside the photo triggering.

It all depends on the patient. Some people it is the flashing lights, others it can be combinations of hues (the color of light) that trigger the seizures. So ask if she has used polarized lenses to help reduce this problem.

For IN the home, the person can simply remove (leave off) any of the "energy saving" bulbs and go back to the traditional incadescent (type A) bulbs. It's hard to see, but in the energy saving bulbs, they have a "fluttering" (cycling) rate that you CAN visually see if you wear a dark pair of sunglasses. Keep any of the long tube lights off... This is in part of what causes the seizures and headaches we hear about.

Thats why IF you have problems with the lights, wear sunglasses in the stores such as Wally World and make your run a quick in and out. You may still have some symptoms after leaving, but wearing the glasses could prevent a seizure from starting in the store rather then not wearing any.

Best of luck with this person

--Travis

I know for me they found a specific RATE (high rate) of flashing caused electrical wave activity in my brain, but they were unable to force a seizure to onset during testing.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
(male)

jurry HB User

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to ask her about the sunglasses. My guess is she has tried them, but who knows, maybe she hasn't. Hopefully, we'll be able to find something that will help her. Thanks everyone.

Closed Thread