It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #1

timbercat HB User
some "good" news......

Hi everyone,
I haven't been on here in months, but wanted to post some positive things my daughter had accomplished in the past couple months. Meg is 16 and has juvenile myoclonic epilepsy diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago. After almost 2 yrs on depakote the neuro took her off it cause she developed a fibroid in her breast (removed, non-cancerous). Then came the keppra. I have read a couple posts from people asking about this med. Realize that everyone has a different experience with each med, here is a brief rundown of what it did to Meg. She became psychotic...there is no other word to describe it. She lost her balance and coordination, short term memory was gone, once an honor student began failing everything, trouble with boys (poor decision making), severe depression, suicide attempt (followed by 5 days in psych ward), violent, aggressive, paranoid, etc. I think she had signs of every one of the worst side effects there is for this drug. She is now on Lamictal (for almost a year) and is doing much better, she smiles and laughs again. Her short term memory is still not working quite right and her grades are low but she is getting extra help at school and is working hard at bringing them up as much as possible. She is even checking out colleges now. Megan has been SEIZURE FREE for 20 months!!

Now for the BIG news! I know some of you wont agree with us letting her do this but her neuro gave the ok and encouraged it......two days ago Meg got her driver's license!!! This is something just a few years ago we didnt think would be possible. We have place a lot of restrictions on her driving for now. She is looking for a part time job to get money for a car (long time down the road right now). Just wanted to share, after so many problems we are finally seeing so much improvement.

God bless,

Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: some "good" news......

Terri, It is so awesome to see someone who is doing so well!! It is great that she has gone 20 months free and able to get that license!! I am sure it is hard for you, but such a huge thing for her!! CONGRATULATIONS, MEG!! Good job. So good to see Lamictal has been a great med after so many problems!

Old 01-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

HEY TERRI!!!

Did you see the thread I put out for you a couple of weeks ago? I have wondering how Meg is doing! I'm super glad to hear things are going more smoothly. Congrats to Meg on the license! I know you are a responsible parent, like me, and you would know whether or not it was an ok thing to do at this time. Katie will also be going for hers this summer. Sort of a "one year anniversary" gift for her surgery. The Epi told us in October Katie could drive, but as parents we decided to make it a year, post surgery, before she drives. Katie has been very understanding and realizes 6 more months is really nothing, in the scheme of things.

Katie just finished Keppra, Thanksgiving was her last dose. She is also currently on Lamictal, about 18 months now. I can tell a difference, now that she is off of the med. More upbeat, not as tired, quiet, etc. She also didn't like being alone. Could have been a paranoia thing. Hmmmm. Her appetite has also decreased. She has been seizure free since the surgery. It will be 8 months on February 7th. I can hardly believe it.

I am SO happy to hear of Meg's 20 months! That is absolutely outstanding!

I'm so glad you checked in! I had been thinking about you and Meg over the last few months, wondering how it was going. Check back again and fill us in, if you would!

Take care...and many blessings to you and Meg!

Vicki

Old 01-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #4

timbercat HB User

Hey Vicki! Glad to hear your daughter is doing so well! Meg swears she is NOT changing meds again, and if the Lamictal stops working she wants to pursue the possiblity of surgery (I dont think that is an option tho for her). We cant believe the difference since getting rid of the keppra, Meg is more like her old self, almost. She is back into her music and has decided to major in music and english in college. She wants to teach. Sorry I didnt see the thread you had posted a while back, things just never seem to settle down around here. My dad had a stroke last week so I have been spending alot of time with him and the hospital he is in is hour and half drive for me. Will try to keep in touch more.

God bless,

Terri

Old 01-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Terri,

We'll pray for your dad...I hope he sees a speedy and full recovery...

Take care~

Vicki

Old 01-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi Terri

I am so happy for Meg. Twenty months is so awesome! Your post reminded me of my daughter Bonnie. She had all of those symptoms! They are better, still having problems, but the suicidal feelings are gone.

We are trying to get on lamictal alone.

Good luck with the driving! It is a tough call. I guess each has to know how their seizures are and what the chances would be.

The neuro has mentioned that they might have to write a note saying Bonnie's would not interfer with her driving. She's just 14 1/2, so we have a little time. She has been practicing in the neighborhood though!

So good to here success stories. It helps us all.

Debbie

Closed Thread