It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #1

mandiyew HB User
Frustration With Pharmacy

Oh my, having total difficulty with my pharmacy. I have to use a mail order one (Caremark) in order to obtain my prescriptions. I am dependent on three different seizure medications (dilantin, tegretol, and keppra) as well as coumadin to prevent a recurrance of blood clots. They have refused to fill my prescriptions stating they cannot read them (was written out VERY clearly), that the dosage wasn't correct (Tegretol DOES come in 400 mg), and have tried substituting generic Dilantin for the real thing, even after my neurologist has emphasized that this is a stupid thing to do, and never to do it. I have checked the box refusing substitute, as has she. What I must wonder, is an ER trip cheaper for the insurance companies to pay, or to fill the preventative drugs in the first place?

Old 01-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
Re: Frustration With Pharmacy

Hi,

We have NEVER used generic AEDs over the 16 years our daughter has been on them (7 different over the years). Our neuros and Epi never liked the idea of generic. They alsways wrote on the scrip "name brand medication medically necessary". We never had any problems, and we have an HMO.

It's all part of the ridiculous red tape some of us have to dance around. Frustrating...YES. I don't understand some of the choices they make. An ER visit or fill a scrip? Hmmmm...

Vicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

TegXR (Extended Release) comes in 100, 200, 400mg. Tablet form ONLY comes in 200mg. (also they have syrup and chewables for children)

Carbatrol comes in 200 and 300mg caps (sister drug of TegXR)

Dilantin, I'd highly suggest Brand name over generic with my problem history on the generic form (read other post on this board). Brand name Dilantin is better quality, is powder rather than a solid pill inside the capsul. Cost is MAYBE a few bucks higher, but worth the quality.

IF they had problems reading the script, they should call your clinic and verify the scripts the clinic has them on record.

If they are still giving you grief, call your clinic and have THEM call the pharmacy to verify the scripts to get the ball rolling.

Kepp is 250, 500 and 750mg sizes.

The 750 is a horse pill but works great if you are on 1500BID (one mfgr bottle/month is a 30 day supply).

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 01-30-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #4

mandiyew HB User

The tegretol was XR. Same scrip I have had filled for the past two years. Doc called in prescription, yelled at pharmacy herself, still not too much luck. They are just being a pain in the rearend. No excuse. Dilantin, I know all about the differences, we have had rounds with them over this as well, but that situation is improving. Keppra, well, I just can't bring myself to down that big of a pill. Got enough of the others, that I can't force it down. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with this situation. Then the stupid pharmacy tends to send the scrips to my dad who won't forward them instead of sending them to me. I run out, and well, trouble begins.... I just don't get it.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

You did everything I would do.

The LAST step is they are endangering your health; threaten legal action if they don't comply and fill your perscriptions in the time they claim they will.
By failing to fill the scripts in a timely manner, you may run out and have seizures due to how they are operating (slow). Putting you in danger is NOT good. The scripts were sent in with enough time. There should not be problems (you are not a new customer) based on your history with them.

There's a screw loose here.

make sure ANY corospondance with them is on PAPER and sent certified return reciept (they have to sign for the letter; and you get a postcard back confirming they recieved it). As well, make a copy for your records before you send the letter.

If you are on county or state aid, see if they can help work for your side as well. The more pressure the more likely they will get their act cleaned up and in gear. Wouldn't hurt to call a state office anyway and see if they can help your problems...one never knows.

--Travis

Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
(female)

digawid HB User
Angry Re: Frustration With Pharmacy

My husband has epilepsy. We switched to generic Dilantin trying to save a few dollars and after 29 days of the generic he had 2 seizures back to back. He had been seizure free for a year and a half. We had to go to the er twice that day because he hurt his back (or something we still don't know what) during the seizure. So us saving 10 bucks on the generic cost us over a thousand dollars (no insc.) not to mention the pain he still suffers from the injury.

Closed Thread