It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

victorita HB User
Do you think my epilepsy is GONE?

I'm new here (but I've been on the back board for a few months - back surgery!) and I want to know what you guys think.

I've had seizures since I was 8. Petit-mal, I would usually wake up between 7 and 10 am with an aura, then have my seizure. When I was a teenager, I would usually throw-up and be sick and groggy all day, but as I got into my 20's the after-symptons lessened, to mostly just a headache.

I was on dylantin till I was 15, and I've been on Tegretol ever since - I am 30.

I haven't had a seizure in 4 or more years. I've been living in Mexico City for the past two years, and I haven't seen a doctor. My seizures have always been well-controlled.

When I got here I was taking 1600 mgs of Tegretol a day. I am now down to 400. It's a long story, but basically I started gettting dizzy, and I had lost about 20 lbs since moving here, so I dropped my dosage little by little. The dizzy spells stopped.

I'm taking drastically lower levels of my medication than ever before. Before, even if I missed a dosage I might have a breakthrough seizure. I'm doing alot of the things that may have provoked a seizure before (staying up late occasionally, drinking, coffee, etc.) and I haven't even had an aura. (many times I would get auras, but then no seizure - like a warning)

I realize I need to see a doctor, and I will, but for the moment I wanted to know what anyone else thought.

My doctor had told my epsilepsy might go away in my late 20's, but I think by 27 or 28 I gave up hope.

Does it sound like it's gone?

Thanks sooooo much, for any ideas or comments.
Victoria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User
Re: Do you think my epilepsy is GONE?

The other thing I thought of when you said that you'd lost 20 lbs and had decreased your dosage accordingly is that since you are in a hot climate you may be drinking lots of fluids which would dilute your meds.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

victorita HB User

Actually, Mexico City has a very moderate climate, not too hot, not too cold - very similar to Southern California, where I'm from.

It does have a very high altitude - I've been at sea level all my life, before being here. What does altitude do to levels?

I had severe vertigo for quite some time, about 6 months after being here (and after I had started to lose weight) and it took some time before I noticed the relationship between my meds and the onset of the vertigo. About 45 minutes after I would take my pills, I would start with vertigo.

I just don't understand... how 400mgs of Tegretol can be controlling my seizures...? Unless... dare I hope..?

Last edited by victorita; 02-14-2005 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 02-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I'd be worried if I was a family member.

400 is not a therapy dose. I was started out at 1400 when I was 5; was raised at high as 2200 on Teg later when I was an adult (bad sideFX at that high dose).

You need to get in and see a doc. 400/day for mono therapy is under what most doc's would have their patients on. 600/day is usually the lowest maintience dose for Teg based on the book I just checked.

Is it possible for it to have gone away? Maybe... but I'd want a professional opinion on that. Having a long history myself like yours, it is rare to get off medication and not on some other form of treatment to supress the seizures. I don't expect to get off medications anytime in my life.

I hope it is gone for you. I think a lot of us would like to get rid of all the pills. But PLEASE see a neuro even if you are feeling good. I don't want to hear that they returned with vengence on you.

--Travis

Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #5

Racer HB User

I have read about people who had epilepsy and it went away. Sounds like this may be the case for you! I sure hope so. But yes, definitely see a doctor.

Me, for ten years I got complex partial seizures (just a weird spacey feeling...no twitching or loss of consciousness) under rare, extreme conditions. I didn't even know what they were. Then I started using a new shampoo and I started getting these seizures regularly--usually in the shower. After two months of this I got a grand mal seizure and found that I had epilepsy. After an ill-fated term on Trileptal (actually increased my seizures), I've been on Depakote and have been seizure-free for a year. It seems that I've identified the triggers and my doctor has given me permission to start bringing down the dose. Like you, apparently, I have (in hindsight) huge warning if I'm going to have a grand mal seizure (i.e., complex partials for weeks or months ahead of time). I hope that I, too, can get off medications completely soon, and be fine as long as I avoid the triggers.

Closed Thread