It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
(male)

gibberish HB User
Can't read,write,speak,listen-reading epilepsy?

ALSO POSTED THIS MESSAGE ON BRAIN & NERVOUS DISORDERS
I have a condition where I cannot read, write, listen or speak for either a minute or sometimes an hour. I have no physical seizure and I am aware it is happening. In Sydney, a neurosurgeon told me it's popping up around the world and they don't know what it is. It has been labelled as Reading Epilepsy - I did all the epilepsy tests and no symptoms or anything. I was told there was no information on this condition and to check the net. Well, when I find something related to reading epilepsy - it doesn't talk about what I have and refers to a physical response (seizure) which I don't experience.
SYMPTOMS
READING - I can't read the simplest word on a page. If I'm reading a novel and there are people in the room talking - it begins when there conversation appears word for word on the page.
WRITING - I cannot write any words during an episode, but can write letters.
SPEAKING - Forget it. When I try to speak, absolute gibberish comes out of my mouth.
LISTENING - Cannot understand a single word being spoken to me.
The episodes don't restrict me from other things, ie: I'll be riding my motorcycle to work and it occurs - I have no problem controlling the bike, I just don't know where I'm going.
I have had this condition for about 15 years, but it is only in the last 6 years that it was notable and became more frequent. One thing I have discovered during the episodes - my brain is retreiving memories of my dreams, and as the episode goes away, so does the memory of the dream.
I am an English language teacher and it can be a problem when it hits me in the middle of a class. I bluff my way through it at times (pretend I'm reading)
and I'm totally aware that it's happening to me.
Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, especially about treatments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Can't read,write,speak,listen-reading epilepsy?

I have the exact same problem! It is horribly annoying. I talked to my dr. about it and she had never heard of such a thing. But i did notice that when my medicine was upped a while back, it went away for a while! I can't write letters, but I can read and write numbers. I find that if I feel that coming on, which I can, if I recite something like "the pledge of allegiance, or the alphabet or just anythign I know by heart, that I can sometimes bypass it. I dont' know if maybe it is a concentration thing, or what. But the auras I get are also like that, although I have the reading and speakign problems many times without having any other problems. I can also do anythng else, I have cooked meals, rode my bike, whatever, just no language skills whatsoever!

Old 03-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
(male)

gibberish HB User

For the past week, I noticed that I didn't have any episodes whatsoever, which is very rare. Mentioning it to a friend, I realised I hadn't had Diet Coke for the same period (I've been drinking DC and Pepsi Max for many years. My friend asked if I had heard of Phenylalanine and Apartame- artificial sugar. Checking the websites I discovered that there are many bad side effects with this stuff and it may be responsible for my condition. {REMOVED} Epilepsy is mentioned as a side effect and numerous other conditions.

Regarding the auras you mentioned. Have you heard of synesthesia - people with this report seeing auras and associate colours with experiences, ie; certain food will be blue or green, etc. Emotions are also associated with colours. It might be worth looking into.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-26-2005 at 05:06 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 03-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Aspartame can cause some bad side effects. That might be your problem, I dont' ever eat any of that though! I prefer real sugar, lol. I hope you continue to feel better though!
I am going to look into synesthesia though, thank you!

Old 03-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

EthanF HB User

I think this also could be symptoms of a Learning Disability. Although I am epileptic I am also Learning disabled. I have ADD and Dysgraphia to be exact. Almost all learning disabilities creat difficulty with comprehension espessially in reading and writing. In many cases like mine people have trouble with reading. The difficulty is not that they can't read, the difficulty is that after they read a few paragraphs there brain starts doing this weird activity where it is reading the text but it is not processing the meaning of the text. The weird part is they can comprehend the meaning of the text if they hear it instead. To deal with this students in schools rely on Books on Tape or in some cases they use text to speec software.

Reading is not the only thing LD stuents use technology to help them with. For example I am using Voice Recognition software to type this message

Old 03-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I can't understand words spoken either, during these spells. I just got like this when I started having seizures, so I don't think that it is a LD. My sister has an LD though, and she has problems like that, although she has always had it.

Closed Thread