It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

TonyaM HB User
Trileptal for depression...really having seizures?

Hi,
I have been prescribed trileptal for depression, which i know is a seizure medication primarily but can be used for other things...before taking trileptal I used to feel like I was going insane ...so many thoughts going through my head at once but no specific thoughts ...I couldn't concentrate on anything...this insane feeling has went away as soon as I started the medication... ...I was wondering if I could really be having seizures...I have had times in my life where I get this weird stench in my nose and mouth...its not really a taste or a smell but it lingers in my nose and mouth...I used to get dizzy and lightheaded at times too...and I get weird feelings sometimes, like I am a stranger in my own home, I am in a dream, or deja vu ...also before trileptal I used to wake up in the morning and it would feel like oxygen just impaled all my organs in my stomach and underneath my ribs everytime i breathed in...I would continue to get this pain when breathing in for about 3 hours after I woke although not as strong as when I first wake up...

my brother had seizures when he was younger (the kind where you kinda stare off into space) ...they were really bad, he had to wear a helmet around until like 5th grade...then they went away...anyhow...i thought epilepsy could be genetic...but he also had a non-functioning kidney taken out when he was 1 or 2....could i really be having seizures and not really know it? thanks TonyaM

ps. if anyone knows why it would hurt when I breathe in in the morning let me know...its like i am over-oxygenated or under-oxygenated in a way...but trileptal has helped with it a little...and this pain when i breathe in is worse when i have to urinate but i don't always haveto urinate when i wake up with the pain

Last edited by TonyaM; 02-22-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

momsbrandi HB User
Re: Trileptal for depression...really having seizures?

How long have you been on Trileptal?

Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
(male)

jahxman HB User
Re: Trileptal for depression...really having seizures?

I've been recently diagnosed with TLE - Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. I've suffered from depression for most of my life, with some of the same "weird" symptoms you describe.
I tried many antidepressants over the years, and none of them helped until my family doc put me on Lamictal, and anti-convulsant.
When I went to a psychiatrist, he asked me a bunch of questions directly related to the things you describe - strange/unpleasant taste or odor that's not there, fellings of "jamais vu" in familiar surroundings, as well as deja vu - all that stuff. Apparently those are typical TLE symptoms.
You should probably ask your doc to have you checked for TLE - and if he/she doesn't seem responsive to that, find a doctor who knows something about epilepsy and TLE, because what you are describing is very suggestive of that diagnosis - especially also given the fact that the trileptal is helping you.

Closed Thread