It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
(male)

takiteasy HB User
Question Triggers

Hi guys,

I'm new to this being epileptic caper and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how you discover what sets a fit off?

I've kinda got a theory that it might be repetitive noises that set me off.

Gordee

Last edited by takiteasy; 02-23-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Triggers

Loud (suprising) noises I have heard of for triggers.

Different frequencies of light (colors) for different people.
-----Flashing lights is a commong trigger; even if it is light passing through trees when moving.

Hot or cold temps (usually sudden change is what does it)

equilibrium

rapid pressure changes (in/Hg ft/H2O)

caffine is a biggie

stress

Hope that helps for a short list of some of the triggers

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #3

buliem HB User

I'd have to add sleep deprivation or even an irregular sleep pattern. My son can have a seizure if he goes to bed even a hour or two later than usual. Most of the time his seizures happen on the weekend because we tend to be more lax about bedtime. They usually happen a couple of days after he misses the sleep. Really weird.

Emotional upset can also set him off as can too much excitement. I guess that all falls under stress. It's rough because you still need to discipline a 10 year old but that can upset him. I'm having a hard time knowing how far I can go with reprimands.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Stress

missing meds or taking them haphazardly

Lack of sleep

poor diet

Taking over the counter meds that interfere (cough and cold meds for one)

Flickering lights for some

Old 02-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

amandamcn HB User
Lightbulb Re: Triggers

For me, I've noticed that stress and different pulses of light can trigger seizures. When I was having one of my initial tests, I was hooked up to a machine that would flash bright lights into my eyes. Every time there was a bright flash I would seize. I know this may sound crazy, but the last thing I remember before my seizure was Michelle Branche's music video "Are You Happy Now", which features a lot of different flashes. To this day when I see her video I get terrible headaches. What you're thinking may not be too far off.

Best of Luck, Am.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

This message got me thinking... for those of you that have the barometric trigger... any problems with elevators in higher buildings?; or when leaving the airport to the taxiway when it's pressurizing the cabin?

Elevators I can feel the pressure change in my ears but it is hard to measure without delicate instruments.

Airplanes pressurize the cabins to about (what was it) trying to remember the mB pressure. I didn't have my Suunto activated last time I flew; but THAT pressure may be another problem if pressure is a problem in your case (I had to look how to pull up past logs, I don't need to do that often on my watch)... Then again I don't fly commercial that often either.

I reset my watch AT the airport knowing the tarmac elev and baro readings. That way I know I am set correctly for my destination when I arrive (and I know those readings except for current baro!)

--Travis

Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
(female)

Eilidh1 HB User

Hey....

Phenylalanine (found in aspartame - as sweetener, used in many soda drinks, chewing gums, sweets etc) is believed to be a trigger for seizures, although this is controversial. I personally now avoid it and haven't seen a reduction in seizures, but I'll do pretty much anything to stop them. There is also some link between gluten intolerance (Coeliac's Disease) too. Gluten is found in wheat. You can get tests done for Coeliacs at your doctors.

Good luck pin pointing your triggers!
Eilidh
x

Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #8

Racer HB User

Create a seizure diary. The instant you come out of a seizure, record everything you've done/felt/sensed in the last 24 hours. Here's my template:

HOW IT HAPPENED:
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE:
WEATHER/HEAT:
SLEEP:
FOOD:
DRUGS (anti-seizure and others):
STRESS:
COLD:
MOOD:
AURA:
MEMORY:
ALCOHOL:
SMELLS:
SOUNDS:
OTHER FACTORS:
SUSPECTED CAUSE:

Based on my seizure diary, I've discovered the following triggers:
1. Sodium laureth sulfate or something else in soap/shampoo
2. Loss of sleep
3. Heat
4. Shrimp (perhaps all the iodide in it, according to my doctor)
5. Stress
6. Having a colds

Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
(female)

Eilidh1 HB User

Hi Racer

Thanks for the template - brilliant idea, I'm going to try and fill it out everytime anything untoward happens.

Regarding the shrimps by the way, do you ever have problems with other seafoods? I've got my suspicions about what we call whelks in Scotland - I don't know what they're called in US - in England they're called winkles... They look a bit like small snails (sounds horrid, but they're actually fab ).

Cheers!
Eilidh
x

Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #10

Racer HB User

Hello, Eilidh1. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that you found it useful. Regarding other seafood, no, I haven't noticed that in general being a seizure trigger. I have fish maybe a couple times a week. Shellfish I very rarely have (never heard of that Scottish delicacy!), and I haven't gotten a seizure after having any, other than shrimp. By the way, my doctor suggested I take magnesium since it counteracts the iodide in some way in the brain. So I got rid of iodized salt, switched to a multivitamin that does not contain iodide (most of us get enough iodide in meat and fish, so there's no worry about getting a goiter), and started taking magnesium. So far I haven't tested the theory by trying shrimp again (I'd eaten it for about forty years without ill effect), but I may try it one of these days.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
(female)

10azty HB User

My brother (as all my posts begin) has shared a few triggers:

sometimes, when his eyes are focused on one thing, and, like a feather slides into vision, like closer than the couch or whatever he was looking at before, it can mess with him

other times, large buildings can disrupt him. I don't think its the pressure or lack there of in the building, just the tall ceiling.

Anyone else have these problems?

Old 05-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
(female)

dolly daydream HB User

I had to febrile convulsions due to temperature,both happened when I was under six years old.Then nothing until I was seventeen and got a bad cold and a high temperature and had a seizure,my doctor sent me for all tests and nothing was found to explain the episode.When I was 23 I started to take the contraceptive pill and I remember having auras but thought I was just remembering dreams i had had.I became pregnant when I was 24 and think that I had some seizures in my sleep but thought I was feeling bad because of the pregnancy until one day at work I started to get a strong aura and woke up as the medics were putting me in the ambulance, after my doctor put me on tegretol.I am convinced that my hormones affect my fits, if have an aura it is usually around period or ovulation time.

Closed Thread