It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #1

gagcas HB User
Talking my peanut is growing up.....:)

Well all....gage is now officially 6 years old as of the 22nd. My how time flies. It really only seems like yesterday he was born and then the roller coaster of it all started. Just wish we would have gotten off the thing sooner. lol.

i had him in for his checkup this morning. he is doing great. and guess what.....the little stinker FINALLY hit 40 pounds. yup...he is my "little" boy. other than that he is doing very well. absolutely wonderful in school and still right up there with the other kids. his pede. doesn't seem to think we have anything to worry about as far as him academically. maybe later on down the road as puberty hits. Whether this thing goes full blown or dwindles away, only time will tell.

Just thought I would give the good news. he goes to the neuro next month. The upping of his afternoon dose seemed to do the trick with the breakthroughs though. Since he was 35-36 pounds, maybe the extra 5 changed it all and threw him off balance? Who knows.

How is everyone doing these days? I haven't seen much of the normal on here. Been reading, just haven't had time to actually sit and respond. A good shout out to you all.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
Re: my peanut is growing up.....:)

Hey Jen

Happy to hear things are going well for the Gagemiester! Stay in the moment, don't think about puberty yet. He's got a long way to go!

CrAzY busy here! Basketball is coming to an end and Andrew had a GREAT season playing a whole new position. He has grown a WHOPPING 4 1/2 inches since the end of basketball last February, gained 20 pounds and went from a size 9 shoe to a 13!!! He use to play point guard and was center and guard this year. Very interesting! He is 5' 11 1/2"!!! He'll be 15 in April. My brother, who is 6' 5", said Andrew will probably be as tall as him. My other brother is 6' 3", dad 6' 2", mom 6' and I'm the peewee at 5' 9 1/2. I've shrunk already since HS. I was 5' 10 1/2" in track senior year. Bad back stuff.

Katie is doing wonderful! She had a 3.2 grade point for the first semester and made Honor Roll!!! YIPPPEEEEEE!!! That was the most awesome thing! She does continue to struggle with short term memory here and there. We're working on that. Reinforcement has helped. She went on her first "date", with a senior. Super nice boy, and high honor roll/academic type. They are just friends. He heads off to college soon. Andrew had a 3.5 GPA this semester. Awesome for all of the sports he was in too.

Katie is starting her classroom for drivers ed next month. Can't test for her regular license until 6 months after her temps. So no license until October. Just as well, more time for me to get use to the idea!

Katie was chosen to be on the Childrens Miracle Network telethon (locally) and to "appear" on the radio (like we heard Ashley's story last year, about her surgery). However, after giving it ALOT ALOT ALOT of thought and discussion Katie decided not to do it. I was a little sad. Things are going so well for her right now that she doesn't want to upset the apple cart. These are very media heavy events, and chances are everyone at school would find out right away. It was a real struggle to decide. I felt and obligation to share our story, from a parents standpoint, but I had to make myself realize, all over again, THIS IS ABOUT KATIE, not me. I have to respect her wishes. She is going to write a letter to Dr. Zupanc explaining her decision, since Dr. Z nominated her to be a Childrens Champion. I just pray Katie doesn't look back and regret the opportunity.

Katie is also registering to take ner CNA licensing this spring/summer so she can hopefully find a position this summer as a CNA. Preparing for her nursing
degree.

We are in the throngs of tax season and Mike is buried behind his desk at the office. Already working 16-18 hour days. We also may be moving closer to the kids school. The 2-3 hours of driving a day is wearing thin. Not fun anymore and Andrew is moving right in to baseball and then football again. About a month break between basketball and baseball and 3 weeks between baseball and football. UHG. But Andrew enjoys his sports. It's not a MOM THING, trust me! I enjoy going, but the driving part DRIVES ME CRAZY!

As for me, I've lost 23 pounds since October and am looking to lose another 20. I gained quite a bit of weight with the stress of Katie's situation over the last 3 years. Unfortuantely I won't have it off by my "40th" in April, but OH WELL! I'm trying to take care of myself a little now, slow but sure.

Take care Jen...I've stopped in to read too, but haven't seen many of our gang lately and nothing I can elaborate on for anyone. I do wonder how Lisa T is doing and Lisa G. I haven't seen Lisa G in a long time. I hope Jake is doing well.

Peace to all,
Vicki

p.s. Katie will be seizure free 8 months on March 7th. She is down to 400mg of Lamictal a day and we see Dr. Z on April 20th. This is just a miracle...there are still no words to describe how we feel...none.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

So neat that Gage is doing so well!! Yes, it is amazing how time flies!

So good to hear the update on Katie and Andrew as well! Sounds like they are doing great too!

Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Kayakmom!

Hoping things are going well for you too these days, I haven't spoken to you in awhile...

Vicki

Old 02-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Things are moving along. We are close to getting Sam back on treatment! A few last hurdles....Anna is doing ok on meds with just a few absence here and there. Thanks for asking! It has been awhile, Vickie!

Take care, Ginny

Old 02-28-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
(female)

debvid HB User

Hi All

Jen, I'm so glad Gage is doing so well! Before you know it he will be in high school! It's so good to here the good news.

Ginny, I'm glad Sam and Anna are doing well. Hopefully not to many more hurdles.

Vicky, So good to here about Katie and Andrew. That's so awesome she made honor roll. Glad she picked a nice guy for her date.

I really miss my son not being in high school, he did all the sports, like Andrew. it was so strange this year not watching him play ball. I know ya'll are enjoying that.

I'm sure katie made the right decision for the Children's Miracle Network. She seems so grounded, I'm sure she thought it through. When my son was 18 months old he drank methenol, 1/2 a teaspoon is fatal(we had no idea how much he drank)! We went to the local hospital, they did absolutly nothing, before being taken by helicopter to New Orleans. They didn't know if he would live or die. They got him drunk to save him. Anyway, he was on the Children's Miracle Network, but he was only 2 years old. He didn't care about other kids!

Bonnie is doing pretty good right now, knock on wood! I don't think she is having any seizures. A few times at night though, I'm not sure. Once I checked on her and she started crying, said her head and stomache hurt, another time the same thing, then one time she came to my room saying she could barely see and her stomache hurt. I don't know if these were seizures or just effects of increasing the med, I suspect maybe seizures. Usually she is just blurry in the morning, since the increase of her med. The increase of Lamictal has messed her tumbling up a little. I guess it takes a while for her body to adjust.

She broke up with her boyfriend, thank goodness. I think it all scared her, her little incident and all. She was not ready for a boyfriend, and I think she finally realized that. They should have listened to Mom! I told him in the beginning to come back in a couple of years. The other one is gone for now, hopefully forever. If he knows what's best for him! Bonnie's grades are coming back up now and I see her doing homework again! I think adding the adderral really helped. We have to get a blood level done and see the neuro later this month. Still haven't seen the eye doctor. Waiting to see about insurance.

Her attitude has been better lately too. She has her moments but for the most part much better. Is it because she's getting more sleep, not stressing over boys, or more meds? I guess all three. Hopefully she won't get use to this level of meds and start having them again. Usually that's what happens.

Katie must be getting so excited about learning to drive! Good Luck!

So good to hear from everyone. I'm like the rest of you, been checking in reading but haven't had time to post.

Debbie

Closed Thread