It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

latte163 HB User
Question Please help...need opinions

Hello-
I have posted on various boards looking for answers. I've been to my GP, rheumatologist (I have fibromyalgia), neurologist and opthamologist. I've had blood work drawn, heart tests, MRI/CT... it feels like everything! My issues... In August of last year I experienced what was thought to be my first ocular migraine. Went to the ER because I started to see a white kaleidescope in my left periphery. It slowly moved inward and turned totally black...I lost my peripheral vision in my left eye. It came and went for about an hour with no sign of a real headache. They did MRI, CT then and said all was fine. I haven' t had a similar attack since.
BUT- since October I've been increasingly seeing spots in my periphery. I see blue primarily, but sometimes what looks like a black blind spot, and occasionally other colors. I also will notice that out of nowhere, more so outside, my left eye will hold on to an image or create one and each time I blink it's there for a while. As mentioned, I've had a recent MRI and again it was normal. I'm very frustrated as I hate this feeling! I've been told it is a variant of migraines. I can't understand how this can be true if it's happening nearly daily. Some days are better than others, but for the most part- it's every day.
I've been trying to find info on the web and came across visual seizures. Could it be possible that this is what is happening to me? There is no history in my family of seizures and my MRI was normal. I do have fibromyalgia, as mentioned, so I often have strange tingling, numbing feelings all over. More recently in my face though. I also get eyelid twitching quite often.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm 25, in case you were wondering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User
Re: Please help...need opinions

Hi Latte - first I want to make it clear that I am not a doctor, but I do have a couple of thoughts on your situation.

I've had an ocular migraine too - mine was big black zig-zags everywhere I looked. No headache, just the vision problem. Almost to the day a year later, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I'm not saying they're connected, but to me it's more than a coincidence that I had my first-ever migraine at age 54 and a year later I had my first-ever seizure at age 55.

Since I've read other postings here about the possible connection between migraines and seizures, I'm wondering if either the migraines are a precursor to seizures or if migraines themselves are a seizure.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone in this.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

latte163 HB User
Re: Please help...need opinions

Thank you for your input Art. May I ask how/why you were dianosed with epilepsy. Thanks!

Closed Thread