It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #1

PinkofLondon HB User
Making sense of EEG results

Hello

After my first and only blackout I had an MRI and an EEG. The MRI was clear but the neurologist said the EEG had a couple of abnormal peaks on it. I admit I was so relieved the MRI was ok I didn't push her on what the EEG results meant! I guess it meant something because she said I shouldn't drive for a year.

So, do any of you guys know what this might mean? Do I have epilepsy? Or is this quite common?

Many thanks

Pinkie

Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Making sense of EEG results

A few spikes on an EEG does not necessarily mean you have epilepsy. Many people are thought to have an abnormal EEG and never have a seizure.

You can probably call that neuro and get a better explaination. I have done that after appointments when I did not remember or understand fully what he had said. You may have info relayed through a nurse. You can also ask for him to call you and help you understand.

Sometimes a certain type of spike will show that you do have a chance of having seizures. Often no medications are used unless you have repeated seizures.

I would ask him what your EEG means and if this shows you can have repeated black outs.

Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #3

PinkofLondon HB User

Thanks Kayakmom. Good advice. Bit embarassed to call the Neuro and reveal my stupidity at not asking in the first place - but I'll do it anyway!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

Please do not feel embarassed! YOu get so much info during an appointment, answer his questions etc, and it is hard to absorb it all. I have forgotten things that I have written down even!!
It is ok....

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

thinkimcrazy HB User

Does anyone know what high Beta results mean from an EEG. I am not on any Epilepsy meds as of yet and that is what my first EEG showed? Please help

Old 03-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

BETA
Beta activity is 'fast' activity. It has a frequency of 14 and greater Hz. It is usually seen on both sides in symmetrical distribution and is most evident frontally. It is accentuated by sedative-hypnotic drugs especially the benzodiazepines and the barbiturates. It may be absent or reduced in areas of cortical damage. It is generally regarded as a normal rhythm. It is the dominant rhythm in patients who are alert or anxious or who have their eyes open.

I found this definition of BETA waves. Sorry that is all I know is what I have read. When do you see the neuro to have him explain the EEG?

Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

thinkimcrazy HB User

I actually go to have the EEG w/sleep deprivation on 3/28. I had another seizure the other night and now they have started me on Dilatin as of tonight. Never have taken anything so I'm hoping that this works. Thanks for the help. I'm just a little nervous and scared about all this. This stuff has been going on for 6 months and now I'm just now getting the proper help. I know there is no reason to get all upset because I can't do anything to change it. Thanks a lot again.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

PINKY1 HB User

Hi kayakmom you seem to know a fair bit about EEGs I Just got mine but don't understand them either ,maybe you can help please?The neurologist said i had lots of long and short peaks with a 2mhz - 5 mhz and almost continual epileptic activity.What do the peaks and the electrical mhz mean?
pinky1

Closed Thread