It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Complex Partial Seizures and Mesial Temporal Sclerosis

I just found this site about an hour ago and am hoping to get some helpful information.
I started haveing seizures when I was 15, the doctor said they were abscence seizures and put me on Lamictal. My seizures have continued to get worse and become more frequent. I am now having complex partial seizures instead of abscence seizures. I have gone from having a seizure less than once a month to several a week if not daily. I've been on Lamictal, Keppra, Trileptal, and Zonegran. I am scheduled to go in for a Video EEG on the 17th to see if I would qualify for surgery. Most of my seizures have just consisted of me basically day dreaming, smacking my lips, mumbling, and I continue to do whatever I motion I was doing prior to the seizure only it is uncontrolled and they only way I even know I've had one is if someone else notices it and tells me; however, the last seizure I had, my right arm and leg were shaking, I had a severe headache, was dizzy, had trouble breathing, was aware of my surroundings but couldn't respond to them or move; luckily my Dad came downstairs and noticed I was having trouble breathing and called the squad. My other seizures lasted between 30 seconds to a minute and the after effects are usually very minor and short if there are any I'm usually just tired or have a headache (which is nothing unusual for me); however, this one they think was several one right after another but it lasted for about an hour and I was probably an additional hour before I fully came out of it. I have noticed a loss of memory since this seizure.
I'm now 22 and in college and having a hard time as a result of these seizures. I'm used to taking 12-14 credit hours per quarter and I have had to drop all but one of my classes since this last seizure.
I have done some research on surgery and a very common result I have found is severe memory loss and I don't know about any of you but my brain doesn't work half the time as it is. I've already had MRI's done and I have Mesial Temporal Sclerosis in the Left Temporal Lobe. If anyone has had surgery for this and can give me some info. on what to expect, especially recovery time, I would really appreciate it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Complex Partial Seizures and Mesial Temporal Sclerosis

I sure hope the VEEG helps you a great deal!! Hang in there and keep researching surgery options. I know of a few people who have had wonderful success with it, others have not had as much...

Hnag in there. Sorry school is not going well right now! Is it memory issues or thinking that is making you drop courses?

Old 03-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

It's memory and thinking both. There have been days that I can't even remember my name.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

I know how you feel. I have the same diagnosis and did have surgery. You did not mention if you were being followed by an Epileptologist at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center or not. Not all Comp Centers are the same, and a general neuro is not the one who should be ordering a VEEG since there is a lot involved and special training past the training of a general neuro is needed for that. You have a lot of resarch to do on this subject and there is a lot of information here on your diagnosis as well as the surgery. My posts are here if you use the Search feature and put in Mesial Temporal Sclerosis, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Epilepsy surgery, Complex Partial seizures, as well as Simple Partials, etc. I have a feeling that what you were having all along may have been Simple Partials rather than Absence. They may seem similar on discription and from an onlooker's account. I am glad I had surgery, and I would do it again in a minute provided I had the same team. I know their expertise and trust them with my life as I have done already. Phoebe

Closed Thread