It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
(male)

hurleydude000 HB User
Post traumatic head trauma?

Ok well last thursday my father had a car accident and was hit on the drivers side where he was sitting. Now he never mentioned any kind of impact sustained to his head. But im assuming from the blow it must have jarred him around a bit. He had been complaining of head aches and had not seen a doctor. And this morning I wake up to my mom screaming. My father has his knees on the floor and is sprawled across his bed and he appeared to be severely gasping for air. He could not speak, it was more like a cry or grunt for help. The muscles in his face appeared to be contracting a lot due to his heavy breathing. And his eyes were wide open and at one point it appeared like he could not see anything the way he was looking around the room, it was a very blank stare and very confused. I tried speaking to him but he wasnt very coherent. He was pointing to something and trying to get up, but he was having trouble standing. I thought maybe he needed his inhaler because he had been sick and had excess phlegm built up(hence not being able to breath). But that is not what he needed, he pushed it away and appeared sort of agitated. The whole episode lasted about 3-5 minutes. Then he began to calm down, he still could not speak and he still couldn't breath. He appeared to be alittle more with it cause he was able to shake his head yes or no. The paramedics classified it as a seizure. He was taken to the hospital. When he was finally back with it he had not even realized what happened, he had blacked out during it. The doctors took cat-scans which came up fine, no abnormalities. A neurologist saw him and asked him a bunch of questions to make sure he was with it. She classified it as post traumatic head trauma(from his car accident). Later on as he was being brought to his room he had another small episode. He is supposed to have an mri tomorrow morning. They said that it was seizures, but my question is could this 'post traumatic head trauma' be connected with seizures or could it be something else that was happening to him? Would cat-scans come up normal after a seizure has subsided? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Post traumatic head trauma?

Head trauma can certainly lead to seizures even a couple of years later. CT scan can be normal and still have had a seizure....

So sorry this happened to your dad. Maybe asking for an EEG is a good idea? Best wishes for the MRI..

Closed Thread