It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

tiresome HB User
Does anyone get SSDI?

Hello, I have applied for SSDI because of my Complex Partial Epilepsy, cervical fusion of C5-6 with bulging disc and arthritis in C6-7, and Major Depression (2 suicide atempts and a 9 day hospitalization for suicidal thoughts).
I was just wondering if any of you have applied for and are receiving SSI or SSDI, and if so how you went about proving your case and for what type of epilepsy. I applied in April of 2004 and am at the request for hearing stage.
I really don't understand why I have been denied twice when I meet the criteria for Complex Partials. I have more than one a week (more than one in a day and as many as 20 or more a week) I take my meds even though they seem to make everything worse. I have had eyesite problems from the one I took previously.
Also does anyone else with CPE have strange heart beats? I get them when I lay down at night and sometimes throughout the day. It feels as though my heart is going to slam right through my chest. I used to have this on occasion but it seems as though more frequently since my seizures have become more frequent.
Laura

Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Does anyone get SSDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresome
Hello, I have applied for SSDI because of my Complex Partial Epilepsy, cervical fusion of C5-6 with bulging disc and arthritis in C6-7, and Major Depression (2 suicide atempts and a 9 day hospitalization for suicidal thoughts).
I was just wondering if any of you have applied for and are receiving SSI or SSDI, and if so how you went about proving your case and for what type of epilepsy. I applied in April of 2004 and am at the request for hearing stage.
I really don't understand why I have been denied twice when I meet the criteria for Complex Partials. I have more than one a week (more than one in a day and as many as 20 or more a week) I take my meds even though they seem to make everything worse. I have had eyesite problems from the one I took previously.

Laura
you really have to fight to get approved for epilepsy. Log books of your seizures help to show a history/log of your seizures. Medication changes and no improvement in seizure control also help prove you qualify, Dr statements medical papers over the time frame you are applying helps. Any ER visits for seizures (the ER papers) etc...

It took me 2 YEARS and my first court room appeal to be approved. Paper appeals do almost NOTHING but shuffle the stack of papers to another person at SocSec to look over.

Being infront of a judge HELPS A LOT. Even if that first court appeal fails; you still have ONE LAST appeal (courtroom) before you need to file a new application (if still denied) with SocSec based on a new date of disability (when the disability started).

--Travis

Best of luck getting on. I know the battle very well myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

tiresome HB User

Travis, thank you very much for your reply. I have kept a journal for a year. I think I will try to send that in with the EEG results and the blood resuts showing I comply with meds. I cannot wait the 12 to 18 months for a hearing so I am going to ask for an on-th-record decision based on the new evidence in my case. Once again thank you for the reply.
Laura

Old 04-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

FIRST OF ALL do you have a lawyer? Thats what I ended up getting after it seemed this case was going nowhere. I give a LOT of credit to the lawyer for helping my case win. They take around 10% or so of your winnings (backpay). PLUS they KNOW what they are doing.

Mine in fact stated having three years of seizure logs was a huge benefit for my case. The issue SocSec looks at is "CAN YOU STILL WORK?" Most of us will have to say yes. They don't care that employers are unwilling to hire us; or we can't drive. thats not their problem. the issue they point out is IF THE APPLICANT CAN WORK.

Good luck,

--Travis

Closed Thread