It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

michalou79 HB User
is there a connection between carbamazaphine use and hormone disorders

My doctor prescribed carbamazaphine for me after I was first diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 13. When I turned 22 my new neurologist agreed to take me off of carb. and place me on a medicine that did not make me so tired. So, for the past 3 years I've been taking Zonegran. Since I have been off of Carb. I have lost a ton of weight, my periods are irregular, and I have a serious case of adult acne. I was wondering if Carb. has any connection to the symptoms that I'm experiencing now. If anyone knows of something like this I would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Michelle

Old 04-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: is there a connection between carbamazaphine use and hormone disorders

Like you, I took Tegretol many years, and when I hit my 30's, I also got a severe case of adult acne. I can''t swear that I was on Tergretol then, but that was my main AED through my epilepsy history. I went to about three dermatologists before I found one that helped me get rid of it. I also want to let you know that some women with epilepsy may go through menopause early. I did too but I wasn't in my 20's as you are. I was older than that. Are you having other symptoms such as hot flashs, night sweats etc? The irregular periods and acne do sound like hormone imbalance, but it will take your medical doc, your gyn, and your neuro to figure it out. Make sure they read the literature carefully re your AEDs since those meds are not ones they work with much if at all. My Medical doc had to get out his PDR to learn about one of mine so he wouldn't prescribe meds that are contraindicated. Since you are having the irregular periods and have been on AEDs for so long, with your being so young and with the possibility of going through menopause early, it sounds like it was a good idea to try another AED provided it doesn't cause the same. There are newer ones that I like much better. Do any of these combos of AEDs stop your seizures completely? Phoebe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread