It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

heavenangel24 HB User
medicines

I was wondering what all medicines for seizures that people take. Im looking for other possiblities. Cause I might have to change. And I want to do research of what is another good medicine that I want to tell the doctor what I want to take. That way I know what its all about. Cause I had no clue what Keppra was about when he said that he would put me on it.
Im not sure about it. I would appreciate it. Im on topamax and keppra. I take 400mg of topamax and 1000mg of keppra a day.
Tracy

Old 04-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: medicines

It's looking like your doc is just starting to put you on Keppra. They like to go high for dossage (up to 3000).

My old doc tried going up to 4000 and thats when I *immediatly* had problems and called in about it. He seemed unconcerned and told me the problems would go away (they didn't). I waited them out for atleast 6 weeks until the conditions degraded and I felt unsafe alone and checked myself in to a hospital and THEY were shocked at my dose and levels. I was instructed to drop down to 3000/day and the problems went away. Within 24 hours the sideFX were no longer existant.

At 4000/day I had problems of mild depression, and I felt unsafe alone. That was the primary problem I had with Keppra.

Others have had Kepp-RAGE (emotional outbursts); mood swings, sleep issues. In a lot of cases this seems to recind over a month or so. Other people it never does.

Another issue, Some patients cannot be raised in the 500mg jumps, as was the case with my friend. Then they need to try the 250's or even CUTTING the 250's in half to try increasing the dose. Sometimes they end up finding they cannot reach the dose the Dr wishes they be at for their "destination dose" Staying in communication with the Dr if the "typical" 500mg jump ever causes problems is a very good idea.

Otherwise, after I may have scared you (hope not) with my case history and the history of my friend when she ramped up on Keppra; it IS rather benign for sideFX if you compare it to a lot of the other drugs. It does not interact or cause level problems with other medications. It is a lot closer to neutral for the side effects of the medication when you look at Depakote or Dilantin to mention two of the common drugs for seizures. If I remember there are NO foods you need to avoid in your diet when on this medication.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

heavenangel24 HB User

I just did start the keppra. I have had quick outburst about things. And its driving me crazy. All of a sudden the past 3 days it seems like Im getting back to normal and its scary to me.
I keep saying I hate the keppra I hate it.
My eating habit is really went away. I really dont eat as much as I use to. I might eat a sandwich and thats it. And I might eat one other time and thats it for the day. And I started buy the diet tonic water and i mix a little of that with a gallon of water and a fresh lemon for lemonade. To drink water. Cause I wont just drink water. Or drink water with diet water or water with seltzer water. I know it sounds weird but with taking topamaz one day things taste good and some days things has a odd taste.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I don't know anythign about Keppra. I take Lamictal and phenobarbital. Before I got pregnant I was on 400mg of lamictal a day, and 100mg of phenobarbital. Now, at 29 weeks pregnant I am up to 1000mg of lamictal, still on 100mg of phenobarbital. Before I got pregnant, I hadn't a had a problem on those meds for almost five years. But then as I got farther along I have had a few problems, that is common though. Only one actual seizure, but three "episodes" where I sort of lost a little bit of time, if that makes sense. But didnt' actually quit breathing or anything.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I had eating problems when they pushed me past 200 to 300mg of Topa. I had to learn to snack on foods during the day. That really ended up being the trick for me. Snacking all day long and TRY to have one real meal at dinner.
Otherwise I went two days once without eating and I was NOT hungry. When that happened was when I figured I needed to go to a snacking agenda, and that works for me now.

There was no real change between 400 and 500mg/day in the sideFX except for the energy level DID drop even lower.

So if you had not tried that yet, you may need to try the snacking method to keep food intake up with Topa. The water intake is also a very smart idea. I noted I don't perspire as much now that I'm on topa; even when I was working a full day at the cabin or volunteering a the youth property.

Good luck.

--Travis

Closed Thread