It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #1

dawn_shasta HB User
Update on dad's surgery

Hi everyone-
It's been awhile since I've been on. I orginally came on to ask about my dad's invasive video eeg monitoring and possible resection. Just thought I'd give you an update since I said I'd keep in touch:

He had the first surgery to put the electrodes in a week ago. They used mostly grid electrodes and 2 deep electrodes. Surgery took 11 hours (a little longer than expected because of his existing scar tissue). He got out of surgical ICU 2 days afterwards and is doing well. He is still having some headaches, but not as bad. They started backing off his AED meds today so hopefully he'll have enough seizures that they can figure out what's going on. His second surgery to take the electrodes out will be a week from today as long as he has enough seizures before then to tell them what they need. If they can pinpoint the exact spot causing the seizures and it won't cause a disability to remove it, that's also when they'll do the resection surgery. So we have our fingers crossed.

I just wanted to send an update and say thanks...everything I was told by the members here that have been through this or had a family member go through this has been pretty much right on so far. It's been very helpful to know what to expect and know what the doctors are talking about. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again!

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User
Re: Update on dad's surgery

Hi Dawn,

I'm happy to hear your Dad is doing well so far with the electrode placement. I assume they have him on the big gun antibiotics? He may also have a bit of swelling because the brain is being "irritated" and "invaded". I had wondered if he had had this done already or not. We haven't seen you in awhile!

Hopefully you will get the answers you have been looking for. It was a year ago yesterday that Katie had her electrode (burr hole) surgery. I looked at the clock just now and she was out of PICU and had a bunch of seizures already at this point. The last one was around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and it was a 3 minute Gran Mal. After that, they IV'd some AED's and we were done. She had the electrodes removed on Wednesday afternoon and we knew by Wednesday around dinnner time that all was a go for the resection to follow, in June.

I look back and wonder where I got the strength and stamina from. I know our faith had everything to do with it, but the human body is amazing when adreniline is added. It was like being on auto pilot and doing what needed to be done.

I wish your Dad well...keep the faith...ask questions, NO question is ever too minor...

Wishing you and your Dad all the best!
Vicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #3

dawn_shasta HB User

Hi Vicki!
Good news and bad news. Good News: They took the electrodes out on Tuesday and were able to remove about a half-dollar piece of brain tissue/scar tissue from the frontal lobe that was causing the seizures. They also found another spot in the temporal lobe that MAY be a cause, but they wanted to start with the "easier" spot and if it doesn't work, go back in 6 mo. from now. Surgery went really well...he was out in less than 7 hours this time.
Bad news: he had a stroke the morning after surgery. That's all we really know for now. The angiogram people will meet with the neuro people to decide what to do from here. He has his 3rd CT scan this morning to make sure it isn't getting bigger. He is the 4th person out of over 250 that have had the surgery done here to have a stroke, so it's kind of a freak thing. The stroke happened in the part of his brain that affects speach so it's hard to communicate with him right now. We don't know as of yet whether that's permanent or not. Only time will tell.
Thank you for your support! I'll try to keep you updated as more arises. It's nice to take breaks and get support. Sorry the news wasn't very good.
Dawn

Old 04-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

awww good luck thinking of you xxx niecsey

Old 04-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Dawn,

You have to take it one thing at a time. I'm sorry he had a stroke in all of this. We were told anything was possible. They try to be delicate around the major arteries, veins, etc. But it is possible that with your Dad's situation he was much more prone. (with previous head injuries, age, etc.)

As you said, time will be the teller of all. Take it one day at a time. Make sure he receives whatever therapy and healing time he needs, which I know you will!

Please keep us posted, wishing you and your Dad better days ahead...

Vicki

Closed Thread