It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

digawid HB User
Question Pain After Seizure - Lose Breath

I posted this on the General Health board and thought I would try here too.

My husband has Epilepsy - grand mal. He recently had 2 seizures back to back. At the end of the first seizure when he was still disoriented he began mumbling about his back and trying to stand. I had a time trying to get him to stay on the couch because he started thrashing around trying to get up. After he came out of it he was hurting pretty bad and having a hard time breathing. I took him to the ER, the doc just poked him and said aww that's muscle. Gave him a shot of muscle relaxer and sent us home. He then had the second seizure after we got back home. We have been to the doctor three times since then and each time they do the same thing, poke him and say muscle. It has been just over a month and he is still hurting. We can't tell if it is his back or chest. He wakes up at night every 30 minutes or so because he hurts so bad. He grunts from the pain when moving around doing normal activities. If he sneezes or coughs he loses his breath. His sneezes get cut off half way through and then he sounds like someone who has had the air knocked out of them, barely sucking air back in, and his face gets beet red. None of these doctors have bothered to do an xray or any other test. I personally believe he is getting bad treatment because he doesn't have insurance. None the lesswe need to figure out what is wrong. I can't seem to find any info for these symptoms anywhere. Anyone ever had anything like this????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #2

mnt89 HB User
Re: Pain After Seizure - Lose Breath

It could be true about the insurance, sad to say. Several years ago if I went to the hospital with seizure problems, they would get me right in and right out and not do or tell me anything. Now, I am covered through my own health plan from my job and also from my wife's health plan, and in August of 04 I went to the ER and was admitted (for the same thing I had gone for before.) They did numerous tests, and treated me like royalty. I know they aren't supposed to do it that way, but I believe that they will cut treatment short on people without insurance. My, cousin, also with seizures & no inurance, was able to get services,x-rays,scans, etc., by going through our local health department. Have you tried anything like that? I have experienced upper back pain afterward, but it usually passes after a few days. Good luck in your search for answers.
Mike

Last edited by mnt89; 04-07-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

digawid HB User

The insurance thing really bothers me because there are so many ppl who can't get any and it isn't fair at all. I am going to put my husband on my insurance from work the next enrollment period which will be in June. He used to have insurance with his job and he got laid off because the company moved to Mexico. The company was reopened by different owners and he went back to work there but they do not offer the insurance. We have been putting off adding him to my insurance because it is 200 dollars a month and that is a pretty good chunk for us. He takes Lamictal and Dilantin and he was able to get assistant with the Lamictal through that company's drug program, thank god because the price is outrageous. I am going to make him an appointment with a diff doc and I am going to insist on xrays because something has got to be wrong. Thanks for ur post.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #4

Ishy HB User

I woke once after a fit with the most incredible pain radiating thru my chest.
As I could feel it in the front, the hospital that I was rushed to ran all sorts of haert tests etc but said it must just be muscles and heal within a week or two.

After a few months of still having alot of pain, i went to my local gp who ran some xrays and found that the fall and seizure had actually caused crush fractures in my spine, around t3 to t5.

Still to this day it hurts some days, but not like it did. It hurt like hell to sneeze, take a deep breath, cough, move..it was bad.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
(female)

digawid HB User

See I was worried about a slipped disk or something. I massaged down his back and put pressure on each spot down his spine to see if there was any sensitivity and there wasn't. He is sore and sensitive to each side of his spine in the center of his back. It is swollen a little in those spots.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My dad has grand mals too... he once pulled a muscle really bad during a seizure. He too, has a tendency to thrash and try to get up before he has regained full conciousness, so we have to try to restrain him. This muscle was somewhere around or between his ribs, we think. He had alot of pain for several weeks than gradually faded to discomfort and went away. He felt his pain when he breathed deeply or tried to twist his body around or tried to lift something. Sounds very similar to your husbands pain. The diaphragm is a muscle and if he pulled that one it could definitely create those symptoms. I know I pulled a groin muscle pretty badly and it took a few weeks to feel normal again.

I have a herniated disk, and there is definite pain when someone puts pressure on that area of my spine. Maybe it is just a muscle. Either way, it really stinks that hospitals do that to uninsured patients. I hope you find some answers soon!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
(female)

digawid HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't even think of the diaphragm. That could be the problem. Hopefully it will ease soon. Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #8

Beagle lover HB User

He could have a nerve impingement problem-if he threashes about during a seizure he could have injured his back. The nerves in the back can go around into the chest. Usually swelling to each side if the spine indicates nerve problems.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
(female)

digawid HB User

I sure hope it isn't a nerve problem. A muscle problem usually goes away with time, nerve problems can go on forever. Thanks for your post.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

hm... the previous poster might be on to something with the nerve stuff. I know I suffer from sciatic nerve pain because my disk problem puts pressure on it. The best way I can describe the difference between nerve and muscle pain (since they can both change with movement) is that with a nerve pain flare up, I will feel absolutely immobilized for a moment in that area, instead of just terribly uncomfortable like a muscle. Where muscle pain will just be sore with movement, nerve pain will prevent movement in the affected area.

I hope it's not nerve pain.... I've suffered from it for 2 years, and you are right, it's hard to get rid of. A daily muscle relaxer could help anyway, because if it is a nerve, tension from the pain will make nerve pressure worse. I have been on muscle relaxers for my back and they do help alot.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 04-10-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Closed Thread