It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

balivion HB User
Febrile Seizure in 14 month old

This is the only board that seemed to be a topic on what I have a question on, so I hope I posted it on the right board. My baby is 14 months old. Today he had a febrile seizure, his temperature was 100.0 one minute and 103.9 when he seized. I have a history of seizures, but I am not epileptic they are caused by hormones. I was just wondering, if my having seizures while I was pregnant with him, and when I delievered him, could make him more prone to having seizures, such as febrile ones like he had today?

ANy help on this would be greatly appreciated, I am still freaking out and its been 12 hours since it happened.
THanks

Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

emily2 HB User
Re: Febrile Seizure in 14 month old

From what I've been told, febril seizures are not all that uncommon. My cousin had one when he was 1, and after that he had a couple more seizures during the next year or so. The docs siad he would outgrow it by the time he turns 5-he is 11 now and hasnt had a seizure since he was 2 .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

I had very high fever as an infant that caused me to convulse. From what I understand, it was rather prolonged so that would have caused more damage than a seizure of a shorter duration. I did have symptoms such as bed wetting every night from then on, and when I was about 11, I started having what were possibly Simple Partials. I called them funny feelings. My first Complex Partial was at age 14. I also have a neice who had more than one febrile seizure at about that same age. She has a chance to outgrow it provided she stays completely seizure free but you know that seizures can be occurring and those of us watching may not be aware f it. You have to just be aware and notice any changes, Also listen to hm when he is old enough to tell you how he feels etc. You mentioned that you do not have epilepsy but that you do have seizures associated with hormones. Two or more unprovoked seizures is epilepsy by definition. Estrogen lower the seizure threshold making you more vulnerable to having a seizure. Mine were worse at the time near my period due to the higher level of estrogen and the stress too. Most women with epilepsy experience this, and it is called Catamenial Epilepsy. Have you ever seen a Neurologist about this? Since seizures that are not stopped do worsen over time, I think I would want to see if I could put a halt to them if possible. Phoebe

Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
(female)

balivion HB User

Yes, I have seen many neurologists..and have had MRI's CT scans, EEG's and they all come back normal. I had seizures while I was pregnant with my daughter, 4 in between my daughter and my youngest son, and 3 while I was pregnant with him, and one of them occured when I delivered. I normally don't have siezures unless I am pregnant or on birth control. I did have febrile seizures when I was young, I was on phenobarbitol and Dialantin for 3 years, then when I got older, I was on Carbatrol, Tegratol, and the most recent one I was on was Topomax. I have more seizures on an anti convulsant then i do off of it, so they do not keep me on an anti convulsant.
All of the neurologists that I have seen are actually shocked, that my EEG's come out normal. Because when I do have seizures I have GranMal Seizures. But, they do all in the end tell me that I am not epileptic. That they are caused most likely by Hormonal changes. Thats why I say, I do have a seizure disorder, and that is what my Medical ID bracelet said, but, I don't have epilepsy. I have never had my lisence revoked, and I had to see a doctor for the state to renew my license when I turned 25 to make sure.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

You may know this, but the scalp electrodes cannot pick up the focus if it deep within the brain. Many are not detected for that very reaosn. That's why yours may be normal. It isn't being detected, My first one was "normal" too. Epilepsy is also diagnosed by two or more witnessed unprovoked seizures. Based on that, you do have epilpesy. our doc does not have to tell DMV unless the state requires it. Some do not. I have never had a license pulled either due to epilepsy. There are many causes of seizures to so it is important to have your medical doc as well and an epilepsy experienced neurologist check it all out and find the best course of treatment for you. It does get worse if not stopped. Phoebe

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
(male)

jnjhart HB User

My son who is 18 months old has had about 4 febrile seizures and they last about 5 to 10 minutes. He seems fine after he is done, but a bit tired. My wife and I try to test for any fever frequently and are going to start to administer Motrin more frequently as he has had two in the past 2 weeks. These are definitely pretty scary things to deal with. In the last week and a half, he has been to the ER 2 times. He had a febrile seizuire at daycare and an asthma attack at daycare as well this past week. Here's to hoping that all of our kids weather these storms. This is our first child and with febrile seizures, asthma and food allergies to dairy, beef, eggs, peanuts and sopy we definitely have our hands full.

We're pulling for all of you.

The Hart family

Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Yes,I also had a febrile seizure at age 1 because my fever
was 104.I am sorry to say,but,the doctors told my parents
that sometimes that me be the only one and to watch out
if I did not have any more in the next few years I would be
okay,then at age 4 they started and have not been able to