It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User
Had a seizure and now back is in pain

hey all, i had a seizure about 3 weeks ago, and from the moment i came to till now my upper middle back has been in pure pain. Has anyone pulled their backs out during a seizure? cause im afraid i did some real damage cause it's killin me. any advise is appreciated. thanks.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Had a seizure and now back is in pain

Have you talked to your doctor about it? Sounds like an X ray might be needed at least.

Yes I have a friend who needed physical therapy for a strained back when she had a seizure that pulled it....

Have you tried icing or moist heat?

Please call the doctor and get it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #3

Kramer HB User

I had something similar happen and the pain was excruciating. I found that a heating pad helped a lot, but it still was a few weeks before the pain went away completely. Also, don't sit for long periods of time because it is a strain on the back. And try to keep your knees bent a little when you lay down, it relieves some of the strain. Take care.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My Dad did this a few times. He's the type who won't sit down and chill. He walks around trying to "fight off" the seizure or he just BAM has one, no warming, no aura. He tries to get up and move before he's regained full consiousness and we have to restrain him. I think that's when he actually pulled his muscle the last time. It lasted a long time and was painful when he breathed. I think it was a rib muscle or the diaphragm. A muscle relaxer and ibuprofen helped alot if it doesn't interact with your medication. Sometimes it can take weeks for a muscle pull to heal. Of course, you may want to talk to your doc to make sure you haven't slipped a disk or something. Also, alternating heat and ice will help. Sometimes you'll find that one helps and one doesn't or makes it worse. Just stick to the one that helps. (I have a herniated disk and chronic sciatic nerve pain.) Moist heat is great, as are hot baths with epsom salt.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 04-18-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

PINKY1 HB User

Hi siren1024,
I had 5 gran-mal seizures in 1 day back in March last year,I woke up with severe back pain.When I would sneeze it felt like my ribcage was going to explode and even though it is well known that if you lie flat it helps???not it my case. I don't know if it's the same for you but the only way it would ease was if I was sitting very straight or if I was up and about but lying down was agony.Is this the same back ache you feel?
PINKY1

Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM   #6

Ishy HB User

With my first ever seizure a few years ago, I woke in incredible pain in my back and chest. To this day it still hurts.
After weeks of being told it was likely just bruising/strain we had xrays done and it was discovered I had actually caused crush fractures to my spine due to also having osteoporosis which until then was un diagnosed.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

hey pinky, thanks for the post. your pain is exactly what i have also. after a nights sleep of laying down im in total pain, and within minutes of being up things ease up. have you since been to the doctor or anything to see what it is? i havent . thanks.

Closed Thread